Gandhi's Glasses!

Caporegime
No, not an awesome expression of alarm (Although I do quite like it!) But rather this...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-53706809

Firstly, how did the owner not have a clue as to what they might be worth given the man's almost idolic status?!

Secondly, do we reckon, given the current societal hard-on for everything BLM based that we'll see protests against the sale? Since...well...you know, he did have a rather disparaging attitude towards black Africans to say the least.
My theory is no, no we won't.

Soldato
Only £15,000 I would have thought £15m. I feel the BLM stuff is fizzling out no, it will at some point anyway, people airing their grievances they will run out of steam eventually. I quite admire the BLM though I'm sure they have an honourable point initially, freedom fighters against tyranny and all.

Soldato
so, these glasses have been in some guys family for almost 100 years and he decides to put them in an envelope and leave them sticking halfway out a letterbox, nae bother!

"We looked into the dates and it all matches up, even the date Gandhi started wearing glasses," he said.
?? :p

Soldato
Slightly off topic but imagine being short sighted before glasses were invented. I couldn't function without my glasses so it must have been hell when vision couldn't be corrected.

Soldato
Ha, that's a great idea for an expression of surprise! Might trhy and use that...

One does wonder how sure you can be that these were actually Ghandi's glasses though - maybe that potential uncertainty is why the estimated value is lower than the lay-person would expect?

Slightly off topic but imagine being short sighted before glasses were invented. I couldn't function without my glasses so it must have been hell when vision couldn't be corrected.
That would be seriously rubbish... I would hardly be able to do anything without my glasses. But then again despite what opticians may say I'm convinced that if we didn't spend so long reading and writing etc then not so many people would develop shortsightedness, so it would have been less of a problem for most people, given that reading and writing used to be much less common! Can't just be coincidence how many 'nerds' are shortsighted, and you'd think poor eyesight would be a much more common topic in historical accounts if it was as prevalent as it is today.

Caporegime
That seems quite cheap, like I'd be surprised if some rich Indian or British Indian didn't snap them up at that price... bargain otherwise.

I mean imagine you were working in a company where an Indian exec was about to leave or retire... instead of say the standard: buy an expensive watch and get it engraved etc.. for the same price as an expensive watch you could get Gandhi's glasses and stick them in some custom made display case etc.. how cool would that be? Bonus points if said exec wears glasses himself and jokes can be made when presenting it etc..

Associate
survival of the fittest would have suggested that us speccy 4-eyed "beasts" would have been screwed without being able to hunt and/or distinguish any hazards coming towards us. While I absolutely hate wearing glasses, I'm a slave to them and wouldn't be able to functions without those 2 lenses propped upon my nose.

Soldato
Secondly, do we reckon, given the current societal hard-on for everything BLM based that we'll see protests against the sale? Since...well...you know, he did have a rather disparaging attitude towards black Africans to say the least.
My theory is no, no we won't.

I find the way in which you manage to turn everything into a racial issue, in your quest to prove that racism doesn’t exist, quite incredible.

Caporegime
OP
I find the way in which you manage to turn everything into a racial issue, in your quest to prove that racism doesn’t exist, quite incredible.

When have I tried to prove racism doesn't exist. I think you're getting a little paranoid old boy. Time to perhaps lay off the fizzy pop a little!

On topic though, nobody seemingly objected to the relics of a racist being sold! Weird huh.

Soldato
When have I tried to prove racism doesn't exist. I think you're getting a little paranoid old boy. Time to perhaps lay off the fizzy pop a little!

On topic though, nobody seemingly objected to the relics of a racist being sold! Weird huh.

Sure.

He may have been a racist, I don’t know, but he improved the lives of hundreds millions so at least he achieved something positive.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom