Garage door defenders

Soldato
Hi all,

I finally managed to fix my garage door, damn that was very hard work!!

I needed to buy a new spring box but problems galore and about 3 weeks later when I got my nylon bearings the door finally opened up lol

what are you opinions towards these garage defenders that sit in front of the garage doors?

Are they any good? or do you feel they attract unwanted attention?

Associate
Don't know much about these things but I've read that people can/will bend or "peel" the door back with a tool to circumvent these guards. However probably a lot more effort involved and noisy and attracts more attention so will likely target another garage.
There's another bit of kit that fits over the actual garage lock but I don't know what it's called. It's round and I think it spins round to prevent tampering. Don't know what your garage door lock setup is so don't know if it would be suitable.

Soldato
OP
Don't know much about these things but I've read that people can/will bend or "peel" the door back with a tool to circumvent these guards. However probably a lot more effort involved and noisy and attracts more attention so will likely target another garage.
There's another bit of kit that fits over the actual garage lock but I don't know what it's called. It's round and I think it spins round to prevent tampering. Don't know what your garage door lock setup is so don't know if it would be suitable.

thanks I guess ultimately they will get in if they want to and the defender will not stop them.

It is more something to delay them, I have the up and over door with a lock in the middle, that spins around already?

Associate
Drill holes in the bottom of the door along its length and into the concrete floor. drop some bolts in the holes and the bottom of the door won't go anywhere. You can do similar at the top depending on whats above the door.

Associate
If the lock is attached to the opener with a wire, another thing they do is can-open around the lock, then hook the wire(s) and pull to open. You can unhook the wire from the lock, but like my previous bolt hack, it can only be opened then from the inside.

Soldato
OP
Drill holes in the bottom of the door along its length and into the concrete floor. drop some bolts in the holes and the bottom of the door won't go anywhere. You can do similar at the top depending on whats above the door.

if I did that, how would I open the door myself? lol

Got any pictures of this setup?

Caporegime
I rate our garage defender quite highly to be honest just one of the bog standard ones you see a lot where a bar sits on top of a floor anchor, but I think it does depend on your doors. We have two doors that open outwards from the centre as opposed to a door that rolls/swings up, so there's no way to peel the door around it.

I cut a hole in the concrete it sat on and laid some new concrete over a steel grid then anchored this to it, and the lock has a rounded hardened steel cap on it that will take more juice than a portable angle grinder has to get through, though if they have some spare batteries they probably could. Truth is they'll cut through the doors long before they ever get through this thing.

Associate
so I would not be able to open that from the outside?
Nor would burglars unless they can get past the security on the side door.
I don't know your setup - if you don't have a side door then its not feasible obviously. Its more useful to insert the bolts when you're away on holiday, and lift them out when you need access. I use bolts that are 1cm thick.

Soldato
OP
Nor would burglars unless they can get past the security on the side door.
I don't know your setup - if you don't have a side door then its not feasible obviously. Its more useful to insert the bolts when you're away on holiday, and lift them out when you need access. I use bolts that are 1cm thick.

I do have side access

I'd like to be able to open the door from the outside I thought the garage defender would allow me to do this with a key?

Soldato
I had a cool idea for this... You could theoretically attach two magnetic lock bolts on the inside of your door where you don't have alternate access?

Then when you wanted to unlock garage you could whack the magnet on either side of door and use normal key mechanism.

Associate
Take a look at some ASEC HS1829 door locks. I have these on mine. Usually sold in a pack of two with the same key. I've installed one in each bottom corner and can be unlocked from both inside and out.

Soldato
Take a look at some ASEC HS1829 door locks. I have these on mine. Usually sold in a pack of two with the same key. I've installed one in each bottom corner and can be unlocked from both inside and out.
These are typically known as Enfield bolts for when you search.
I have these on my garage and they are easy to fit and provide some peace of mind. Easy to use from both sides.

Soldato
Another enfield bolt user here. One on each side at the bottom. However the crims round here have started using jacks on them which pretty much circumvent everything barring a wall behind the door. :( So i look at it purely from a deterrent point of view and hope they move onto the next one instead.

Back
Top Bottom