garage door from overhead to hinge

Associate
Hi all, first post here.

After reading some good advice on here, thought I'd give it a go.

I have this double garage with a door that opens overhead, inward. I want to repurpose the place and would like to have the door open outward, sitting on hinges rather than the rails along the ceiling, which I would really really love to get rid of. I plan to use resin fixings to install the hinges and add one or two gate wheels to soften the weight on the hinges.

Impossible to know the weight of the door but it's aluminium (or at least looks it) and can't imagine being that overly heavy, but it is almost 4m wide.

Can resin fixings take that sort of weight? Hinges will be fixed on brick wall to the side of the door. Planning on using resin capsules with M12 internal thread rods. Probably 3 hinges (3-4 holes each). Know of strong resin capsules that can hold decent weight?

Can this be done, or is this plan really stupid? Just looking for go - no go with the plan.

Is this overkill? Or will good ol' m12 pulgs and bolts with proper hinges just do the job?

Thank you all.

Pete

Last edited:
Hi. Thanks for the reply. I did, but poses the same issue: covering the ceiling which is what I want to avoid.

The hinges won't hold it but if have a little dolly wheel on the other side of the door that should support it

Mine rolls up into box above door, doesn't cover any of the ceiling which I didn't want.
Ah! Right, of course!

Thing is, I would love to avoid having to buy another door... and then of course, an entire new installation and so on...

Last edited:
So, I was thinking of adding one or two gate castors to the end opposite the hinges. They should hold about 100kg each. That should take away some of the weight from the hinges/wall/resin bolts I rekon?

Last edited:
A roll up garage door is really the way to go. At some point I would like to replace my up and over.

aye same, just watched 2 guys fit a double electric roller to the nieghbours last friday. only thing i didnt like was the roller section was fitted inside and he now has about 8 to 10 inches less height clearance .

Last edited:
trying to reuse an up and over style door in the way you're suggesting is always going to be a bodge at best.

As everyone else has said the solution to your problem is a roller door and there's no real getting away from the fact that it's going to cost money to do it properly.

How smooth and flat is your driveway in front of the garage? If its perfectly smooth and level then maybe a wheel on the door would work but any undulation or bumps will put a lot of stress through a door not designed for it. Also how's the brick work you'd hang it from? that'll need to be pretty strong i'd have thought.

Assume you are aware you can purchase replacements which change an overhead to two hinged doors - often nearly identical. See our before and afterwards pictures. It means you can open one or both half doors and use it as a normal door entry. The company that did this for us said these were currently incredibly popular and nearly all for garage conversions - can post pictures of mine if that helps. We only insulated, replaced the doors, new floor and ceiling. It is used for storage/gym not as a 'habitable' room. Incidentally the doors we purchased are insulated.
Edit: realise now I cannot attach image other than as a link. So apologies - no images..

sure, but was hoping to take the easy and cheaper option of using what I already have.

Roller not an option as there's no space for the box.

Hinged, I've considered the one I have, diy wooden, two hinged, half fixed / half slider, triple glazed sliders... more or less everything. Even brick laying the opening so I can use the space.

The option I was considering was £60 while buying half decent doors for that width is nothing less than £1500. Plus having to dispose of the one I have.

But anyway, all good comments and recommendations, so thank you all.

Back
Top Bottom