Garage - electric roller door

Soldato
Hi, anyone had an electric roller door fitted recently? I've been quoted £1125+vat. Door is 2.3m x 2.3m, anthracite grey, controller + 2 key fob and a manual release. Includes removal of old up/over door.

Does the price sound in the right ball park?

Associate
Why are these in vogue? Look like an old shop front. Am I missing something?

They roll straight up so you can store stuff nearer the doors on the walls etc inside. Also the electric opening/closing is much more convenient (obviously you can get that with normal doors as well). But the straight up/down opening is the main thing.

We had a Garador single roller in anthracite done a couple of years back think it was about £1700 inc vat so looks like you've got a good price. Not sure if all roller doors are equal though. My dad got one put in which was about £1k and you can tell the quality is not as good as my one.

Soldato
Make sure you get a insulated one -
The thing with a roller door is there are no gaps anywhere - Next door has one and they had to move a roof beam as it was too close to the door. It also has a alarm -try lifting bottom of door and alarm goes off.

Soldato
Make sure you get a insulated one -
The thing with a roller door is there are no gaps anywhere - Next door has one and they had to move a roof beam as it was too close to the door. It also has a alarm -try lifting bottom of door and alarm goes off.
We recently moved house and ours is insulated but couldn't understand the need, especially as the roof of the garage isn't insulated.

Soldato
Had a manual roller for many years - the fact that they drop rain water from their surface, onto you, is always annoying;
Elderly neiggbours electrical roller has needed a new motor, and I think they now have a maintenance contract, so I'd make sure there is a solid warranty;

Are the electrical roller ones more mechanically robust, than up and over ?

Similarly - don't see insulation need, if anything car needs to dry out, so gap at top of roller is useful, but, would like one that seals better at the bottom,
as I'm convinced mice must have got in beneath it to gnaw stored apples.

Soldato
Yeah I never understand the need either. Mines insulted, but so what? It's a garage.

Depends on adjacent rooms. Our garage is right below our home office/ my man cave and backs onto downstairs loo. In the winter they both are the coldest rooms in the house, especially the downstairs loo as it has no radiator. As much as I like the current wooden garage door that compliment the look of the house, I'm sure something better insulated would benefit in the winter.

Soldato
Seems about right. I had a double (4.5m wide) put in for 2.4k this time last year, made huge improvement to security than the old up and over and as said above can put stuff right up to the door which has given me a significant amount more wall space for my bikes freeing up space elsewhere in the garage.

Last edited:
And also the ceiling. I have made a shelf in the inside above the opening. I put my petrol tools there so if the garage is open and someone sees in, they won't see my expensive stuff. I also have my bike on a pully system that goes up towards the ceiling.

Before our old door would come into the garage and block the ceiling.

Associate
Had a number of recent quotes from various brands, pricing ranging between 1400 and just over 2k. That is for an internally mounted motor one.

Soldato
Why are these in vogue? Look like an old shop front. Am I missing something?

Anthracite grey as well. People still genuinely think this colour choice is trendy and contemporary. It's dull and drab and is going to be around for an awfully long time on people's front doors, window frames, garage doors.

As for roller doors I think they're slow to operate, prone to failure, and can't be left unlocked for deliveries. So the up and over wins on those 3 fronts really, and you can easily paint an up and over.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Anthracite grey as well. People still genuinely think this colour choice is trendy and contemporary. It's dull and drab and is going to be around for an awfully long time on people's front doors, window frames, garage doors..

I find it quite amusing. It’ll be the new rosewood brown plastic of the 2010s…

That said, Windows and doors are hardly difficult to change again once the fad ends.

Soldato
I find it quite amusing. It’ll be the new rosewood brown plastic of the 2010s…

That said, Windows and doors are hardly difficult to change again once the fad ends.
Straight to land fill with the composite decking and astroturf then. Yippee humanity.

Anthracite grey as well. People still genuinely think this colour choice is trendy and contemporary. It's dull and drab and is going to be around for an awfully long time on people's front doors, window frames, garage doors.

As for roller doors I think they're slow to operate, prone to failure, and can't be left unlocked for deliveries. So the up and over wins on those 3 fronts really, and you can easily paint an up and over.

what colour would you suggest?

you make a good point, but actually miss out on how much better roller doors are for deliveries.

i have a very simple, cheap device that lets my control my garage door from my phone. so if i get a delivery. click on my phone to open it 1ft, package placed inside, click to close.

Soldato
I suppose the roller has zero clearance distance if you often have another car near the door too;

ours is a perennial cream coloured roller;
Grey is a zoomer ailment around here , 3 neigbours in last year decking+fence , front door, fence - I'm intrigued if it breathes versus regular wood stain.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for feedback re. quote, mine appears to be OK then. Others on the street have used the same fitter and work looks good too.

As for why... I want to use my garage as a workshop, it isn't massive and the up and over door limits headroom to a little under 6 ft over a fair amount of it and hence limits useable space well into the garage area and prevents me running shelving up to the ceiling as well. Also the delivery issue has been covered above and is far more secure that leaving the up and over unlocked.

As for anthracite grey - it matches the front door :p

Back
Top Bottom