Garden Project, Build Log to Follow

Associate
Hi All

We have decided to have the top end of our garden landscaped.
The reason are less maintenance and to generally tidy up some parts. And make other parts more manageable.

Here are some shots from a few months ago

Right the 2 greenhouses and the shed will be staying but they will be getting spruced up. The area that is fenced off with chicken wire will be getting replaced with raised beds made from railway sleepers.
The work is due to start at the beginning of September.
Here are some Sketchup drawings i have done so you can see what it will look like.
The paving is mint fossil indian stone, walls and steps all to be made out of railway sleepers. New fencing to be put up behind the summerhouse on the border with the farm land.

And of coarse a new summer house for my other half.

There is already armored underground electric cable running to the greenhouse. This will be extended over to the summerhouse.
Will also be laying some cat6 cable underground from the house upto the summerhouse.

Will keep this thread updated as jobs get done

Soldato
Lay 2/3/4 Cat6 (as you're in the countryside anything over this would be pointless). I'd ensure it's external grade. And then just use a switch at the other end. Ideally however you'd use a module or something instead of crimping an RJ45 directly onto the cable. Best to ask bledd though as he's more knowledgeable and I've got 0 experience in running small amount of cable.

I personally would run the cable from the house to a faceplate in the summerhouse. And then to a switch which you can then plug into whatever device you want. Could even go PoE switch and have a Wireless AP in the summerhouse. Would be cool as you'll have coverage in the garden.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
i am going to run it into a faceplate in the summerhouse, and then that to a switch.
The cable is external grade direct burial Cat6, and it will be in conduit as well, so should be all good on that front.

Associate
OP
Hi all

Small update

We have laid another brand new run of SWA 10mm electric cable at the other side of the garden and is all wired up ready to go. It was buried 600mm deep and then covered with sand. Then on top of that we laid 25mm MDPE water pipe, this is the conduit for the cat 6. Then ran 2 cat6 runs through the water pipe and also have a extra pull string in there in case we ever need to pull anything else through. This is all coiled up at the top of the garden waiting for when the landscapers start. But of coarse like an idiot I did not take any pics.

We have also had the summer house delivered and this is currently been stored in the garage waiting to be built. My god it is huge. 5m x 3m.

The main work is all due to start next week.
Will keep this thread updated once the work starts.

Dan

Associate
OP
It is just a case of waiting for the landscaping team to start

Once they start they have said it will be around a two week job, just want them to get started now before the weather starts to turn.

Associate
OP
Hi All

Thought i better update this thread with a few progress pictures.
Work was about 2 weeks late starting.

Raised beds all built,

Walls starting to take shape, with steps up

All wiring going in for all the lighting

New liner installed in pond, thought we might as well while all was been dug out.

Just waiting for more deliveries of Hardcore, soil and sand. And then the Indian Stone paving to go down.
Will keep updating over the next week or so.

Back
Top Bottom