Garden Shade Sail

Soldato
Does anyone here have a shade sail fitted in their garden?

Due to our decking/furniture layout it's not suitable for a standard parasol (requiring a large area for the base support) so considering one of these as an alternative.

Any thoughts/feedback welcomed.

Thanks

Soldato
I keep thinking I was something like that for our garden but two things annoy me:

1) The apparent semi permanent nature of them means I think it will annoy me putting them up / taking them down
2) Catching rain like a mofo when I can't be bothered :)

Soldato
OP
I'm looking to attach two high points to the rear of the house (using a hoist setup for tensioning) and then a lower removable post at the edge of the main deck, this lower post will mean any rain caught with just pour onto the grass. Well that's the theory! :p

Associate
I recently helped install one in a mates garden, to cover a hot tub. Works really well and was easy to install, took an hour if that. Just make sure the anchor points are pretty sturdy to withstand extreme weathers (he will be taking it down over winter in case of snowfall).

Associate
Our gardens south facing so the patio doors get sun on them all day so looking into our options Sail shade or awning. I'd quiet like to be able to adjust it so possibly installing a few anchor points.

Our house is a L shape so if its a triangle shape it will be fixed to the house, if rectangular then one would be either fixed to a fence post or I'd purchase a pole.

Would love to see some peoples setup/photos.

Soldato
Stealing someone else's thread rather than making a new one...

Thinking about going for one of these for the garden, given it's been a few years has anybody got one and have any useful experience to pass on?

Soldato
Yes we have one, easy enough to put up on the fence posts. Route the poly rope through screwed eyes and onto metal cleats underneath to tighten. We leave it attached to 2 points and undo one to roll it up when not in use/ raining, takes a minute to do.

Soldato
Haha :D

Well what I want to do I think is fairly simple...

A right-angled triangle, although I think in practice it might not quite be a true right angle. With one of the straight edges along the rear wall of my house (above french doors) and the other corner attached lower to a fence post further down one side of the garden. The sun direction versus the shade will be perfect...

I don't want it to be permanent so looking at the pulley based approach - the post will have a proper turnbuckle attachment but the two points on the house will be hoisted into place and tied off on a cleat

Seems reasonable but unsure what I need to be concerned about etc.

Soldato
Not taking it down when it's raining is the only thing I can think of.

I was planning on treating it much like a parasol - if it's looking to be a nice day and we are intending to use the garden I'd pop out in the morning and hoist up the sail, then collapse it at the end of the day. Maybe leave it up a couple of days in a row if we get a run of sunny days

Soldato
I have a triangular one around 2 metres on each side which gets attached underneath a wooden frame supporting some old vines to provide shade on a small terrace. It’s very good, less hassle than a big parasol and considerably cheaper.

Top tips:

- Use the sturdiest mounting points you can. You might be surprised how much lift squares metres of sail can produce, so use solid, but quick detach fittings.

- Mount the sail so that 1-2 people can demount it in seconds without tools or ladders being required for when you get the sudden thunderstorm appear.

- Keep a broom nearby to push water off the sail if it’s already captured some rain before you try to demount it. Unhooking is much easier without 20 kg of water holding the sail tight against the mounting points.

- Make sure at least one sensible adult is around when the sail is fitted.

Soldato
I was planning on treating it much like a parasol - if it's looking to be a nice day and we are intending to use the garden I'd pop out in the morning and hoist up the sail, then collapse it at the end of the day. Maybe leave it up a couple of days in a row if we get a run of sunny days

Yeah pretty much how we use it, we bought a 3m triangular one off Amazon for £19, it's well worth the money.

Can kind of see it here:

a46HIuF_d.webp

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom