Garmin currently down - Rumours of Ransomware Attack

Soldato
what ever happened to pen paper and a stop watch .. :)
just think what would happen if we had a major solar flare .. ouch
I can just see my rides now using that method, stop every second and write the time and location down. Phone my wife every minute or so with a location update.
Yeah that sounds a lot easier than just pressing one button on my watch at the beginning of a ride. Lol

Soldato
Some poor sod who's been saying for years that they are just one cyber attack away from a disaster like this, but never got the tools to improve things will probably be getting the sack for this.

Not really, he or she will of raised there concerns, those concerns will have moved up the food chain and someone has chosen to accept the risk or mitigate it somehow. Needless to say I’m sure the CTO has a budget for cyber security now :p

Underboss
its back up and running, just ignore the "Down for maintenance" part (garmin connect)

Q. For the past 7 days my "stairs" counter is completely wrong
i do about 3/4 a day , my watch is saying around 30

any one else having this issue?

Associate
its back up and running, just ignore the "Down for maintenance" part (garmin connect)

Q. For the past 7 days my "stairs" counter is completely wrong
i do about 3/4 a day , my watch is saying around 30

any one else having this issue?

Mine doesn't count stairs but for steps, some days are completely missing, others are ok. So far they're saying it will just take a few days to sort itself out. Quite annoying as it broke my goal streak that was around 120days already..

Soldato
At which point you couldn't find anyone to employ as CTO...

As @Beerbaron says, the board needs to buy into the shopping list from the CTO/CIO for whatever tools they are lacking like SIEM/UEBA/EDR/NDR. The cost of these will be in the hundreds of thousands, if not millions of pounds for a large enterprise or public sector deployment. Then you also need the SOC team to be using the tools.

All a risk decision - the risk of going down that route needs to be signed off by the business owner... CEO.

Soldato
Interesting that Sky News calls them 'The Smart Watch maker' I would have thought that is least thing Garmin is notable for, or does it say something about the audience of Sky News.

I’d have said it was certainly one of their main revenue streams. Especially given the way the market is going away from traditional sat navs to phones/in car Navs.

In fact. Looking at the stats. 52% of revenue in 2019 came from Outdoor and Fitness devices. Compared to 20% in Navigation and Aviation.

If you think about the fact that 8 out of 10 (completely made up stat but probably not far off) people who are seriously into running/cycling probably own some kind of Garmin device it’s not too big of a shock.

Soldato
If you think about the fact that 8 out of 10 (completely made up stat but probably not far off) people who are seriously into running/cycling probably own some kind of Garmin device it’s not too big of a shock.

I guess the point being, compared to maybe (also made up) 1 in 20 people that own a smartwatch, have a Garmin watch... surely the interesting point is it's for fitness, not for being a smartwatch :) Most Garmin devices that the general public own, will be for fitness, surely?

Soldato
I guess the point being, compared to maybe (also made up) 1 in 20 people that own a smartwatch, have a Garmin watch... surely the interesting point is it's for fitness, not for being a smartwatch :) Most Garmin devices that the general public own, will be for fitness, surely?
Not necessarily, my wife has a viviomove, mostly a smart watch, it doesn't have GPS for instance.
Where as I have a Fenix and Edge for sports/smart watch.

Back
Top Bottom