GARMIN Fenix 5

Associate
Anyone own one? Thinking of getting one but trying to justify the price tag. Im not a fitness fanatic but do like to ride my bike and go for walks. Was looking at the fenix 3 but its pretty big at 51mm. Atleast the 5 comes in at 47mm which is a bit more manageable with a bit better screen and battery. Just not sure there worth dropping over 400 notes for one or look at something else like the samsung gear S3?

Soldato
Anyone own one? Thinking of getting one but trying to justify the price tag. Im not a fitness fanatic but do like to ride my bike and go for walks. Was looking at the fenix 3 but its pretty big at 51mm. Atleast the 5 comes in at 47mm which is a bit more manageable with a bit better screen and battery. Just not sure there worth dropping over 400 notes for one or look at something else like the samsung gear S3?

I have the Forerunner 235 and looked at the Fenix after I've had the 235 a while.

The immediate thing is weight, it's alloy and a lot heavier. Also when you look at the option - what exactly will use use out of the list?

The 235 does GPS-enabled sports and activity etc including sleep, you can change the face and the way things read out .. more detail is provided in the appside rather than the watch. However the GPS on the 235 is good, but to see any output you need to import the data into their app/website. I believe the fenix has some additional things wrt GPS, navigation etc. Battery on the 235 is over a week in normal use, a week with a session of GPS running each day and I've run GPS for 9.5 hours in one session before offshore and still had battery left.

For my use, the 235 does enough. It doesn't have waypoints etc on the watch or really a GPS wrecking focus but at the same time it appears that to read the GPS coords on a watch, in 'realtime' is seen to be a reason to make things mega expensive. Same GPS but sync up to the computer and look after the event.. less so.

Question is - do you want to setup a course, to know where you are now, or know where you have been?

The more expensive watches are the first two, the cheaper the last.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom