Gas and Electricity Provider

Soldato
It's a joke at the moment. I'm a regular switcher but this time will be paying £10 per month more. All the new start ups that appear top of the lists come with warnings attached for their customer service on MSE. Cashback offers have vanished for the cheapest deals too.

I have this time opted for a tariff with no exit fees. Hopefully the market will improve and I can switch again soon back to my current bill level.

I'm considering writing to ofgem, to voice my opinion. It won't make any difference of course but the market is not working when regular switchers like me are having to put up with 25% bill hikes. That would be unthinkable in other regulated industries.

Soldato
The only real way to reduce your bill is to combine switching with a constant effort to reduce usage.

Problem is that as the average usage drops, unit price will increase to make sure the suppliers keep making money. So you always need to be lower than the average usage consumption. The trick is to find cheap ways to do that (led bulbs on offer for example) or do something big like solar panels but the rates on those aren't as good as they were.

It's very frustrating and whatever you do it's the supplier that wins. They have an ever increasing consumer base yet cost per consumer seems to only go up.

Last edited:
Soldato
I use a company called flipper - they're 25 quid a year but manage your accounts for you and regularly check to see if you're on the cheapest possible tariff, and if not, 'flip' you to another supplier.

Well worth looking into.

They also guarantee a saving of at least £50.

But MSE offers this for free so what's the point? What do you mean by they "manage your accounts"? What is there to manage?

Associate
Urrgh, It's that time and crikey the market is a nightmare. What is up with all these new companies with bad ratings? Our Sainsburys deal is just ending and thanks to BG's increase the soon to be standard tariff dual Fuel bill will be £168 per month :o.

I like the look of Powershop for electric, as it will give me a lot of control over the largest part of our energy bill (any one on OC using them?). The gas had the largest hike but would be easy to keep under control, so for the first in ages I am going to split suppliers. If there isn't much in it for the gas I may find one that I can get the meerkat benefit.

Caporegime
Avroenergy are rubbish when it comes to leaving, I never got a final bill and they just ended up refunding me my debits, which was odd to say the least.

Soldato
I've mentioned it on another thread, I use Octopus Energy, have been with them just over a year and had zero issues with them, I moved from BG and wouldn't go back to the 'big' companies now.
I couldn't see anything cheaper, and whilst the fixed tariff I was on ended in August, the one I have moved on to is about the best I found.

Anyhow, if anyone wants to join Octopus, you get £15 so do I with this link (there are no exit fees either)

sorry no referals.

Obviously if not allowed mods please delete - if no one wants to use the referal link then just use this;

http://www.octopus.energy

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom