Gas Pipe in my garden

Associate
Hi! I bought a mid terrace Victorian house at the end of last year. It has the typical square patch of garden at the front.
There is a pipe that appears out of the lawn, about half way from the brick fence to the house, the second half of the pipe that runs up and into my home, sits very clearly on top of the lawn. and yes, it's the gas service pipe.
I had SGN here today as it's unusual to see a gas service pipe sitting on top of the lawn. The SGN surveyor told me to be careful gardening and to not chop through it!
SGN have sent me a quote, for me to pay to have the pipe moved. Its clear that the level of the garden hasn't been altered. It was my understanding that the gas company should be responsible for service piping to the meter (which is inside, under my staircase). Is this right?
I also thought the service pipe running over my garden lawn should have been laid with a minimum depth of cover of 375 mm - instead of having sitting on the lawn for all to see.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks so much. Ally

Associate
Yeah that should be down to the gas company, it's not for you to pay for.

I thought cadent looked after the UK gas network

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yep, it's def SGN that cover this area. It was an interesting visit - end result: they now want to move my smart meter that works perfectly - instead of fixing the service pipe that I believe they are responsible for.
Think I'll pass their document to a contact that I have in the construction industry and see what he makes of it. Thanks for the taking the time to respond.

Associate
I put a garden fork through a similar pipe at my granddad's as it was hidden under about 3 inches of soil. Needless to say we started to smell gas.

Associate
Yep, it's def SGN that cover this area. It was an interesting visit - end result: they now want to move my smart meter that works perfectly - instead of fixing the service pipe that I believe they are responsible for.
Think I'll pass their document to a contact that I have in the construction industry and see what he makes of it. Thanks for the taking the time to respond.
Our gas meter was on the outside of our house but when we had an extension built it was on the inside. When it came to change the meter for a smart one they said that the meter needed to be on the outside and moved it free of charge. When doing some work in our front garden, I found the gas pipe was parallel to the garden wall then do a 90° turn towards the house and then go over a culvert pipe near to the house, so was only about 150mm below the surface of the concrete driveway

Back
Top Bottom