Gd has died

Soldato
The pre moderating of all posts had killed gd.

It's a shadow of it's former self.

Is this the way society of going, what do you think ?

GD has always been a bit, well… ‘GD’.

Its generally a right-leaning forum and, if you go back far enough, used to be a home for some overtly offensive content.

So if you’re using those ‘early days’ within your frame of reference of ‘a shadow of its former self’ then yes, it has certainly become less extreme than it used to be.

I think if you go back even five years ago, the level of discussion around most topics was less aggressive and confrontational. The polarisation of the political landscape in the US and the UK, combined with the influence of social media, has definitely changed the way most topics are debated.

Anyone left of centre is a whining ******* communist and anyone right of centre is a racist Nazi sympathiser — there’s no room for reasoned debate anymore, it’s all about point-scoring oneupmanship.

As a result, people either give up completely or, my personal theory; there’s a bit of self-selection going on.

It seems to me that GD and SC are turning into homes for some of the more right/left leaning members respectively (or possibly more accurately pro/anti-Brexit) and this is turning them both into echo chambers.

Obviously there is still some crossover, but I would suggest that any decline in quality of GD is due to the lack of diversity of views being expressed, and when they are expressed it’s often in a hostile atmosphere (from both sides, please don’t think I’m putting all of the blame on one group).

I think it’s a bit of the above and the fact that a lot of the more ‘interesting’ characters have left or been perma’d. :D

Caporegime
No one gets put on moderated posting without being informed.

In many cases, a poster will have received multiple warnings prior to this action so it’s hardly a surprise when we do notify them.

Ah ok, it's just odd how he's framed the OP then... he's posting about the forums as a whole as though all posts are pre-moderated when in reality it is presumably very few members.

Caporegime
Define rubbish, then ask 100 other people the same and see if you all get the same answers. Who gets to decide what rubbish is?

Well we seem to be going in a direction where everything is controlled, with things a PC minority don't like censored out of existance, which is quite funny considering all of the speeches earlier at the 75th aniversary of D-Day remembrance, talking about men giving their lives for our freedom.
Oh FFS you still got your tin foil hat on?? Always gibbering about some rubbish that only you can conjure up in your little head.

Are you the sort that sits alone in a corner away from everybody, gibbering nonsense under your breath??

Soldato
There is a lack of humour in GD, there used to be a lot more funny threads.

I think it's more a sign of the times than just GD. Everybody is scared to offend people. We have pre-moderated jokes available on rotation e.g. letter boxes and queen wasps, so it could be a lot worse.

Soldato
I suspect it's also to do with the core forum user base aging. It would be interesting to see if that is the case but I know I wouldn't be building a space station over a weekend again (if anyone gets that link kudos ;))

Caporegime
I think it's more a sign of the times than just GD. Everybody is scared to offend people.

I don't think everyone is scared to offend people in general.
What I do think though is on occasion the mods are somewhat overzealous with their moderation on behalf of those members who are offended by everything, even going so far as to term politically correct terms as being offensive and (inconsistently) deleting posts as a result.
I think it's this type overzealousness that has probably stymied some of the more entertaining/interesting posters.
People are therefore afraid of perhaps raising more risque topics or posting slightly more borderline media. Why risk a ban from this community when you can post it all day long on social media without fear of such actions?

Banning terms such as snow-flake yet allowing some individuals to constantly call others racist/nazis/bigots/xyzphobe, generally without reason, probably grinds on people too.

Soldato
I don't think everyone is scared to offend people in general.
What I do think though is on occasion the mods are somewhat overzealous with their moderation on behalf of those members who are offended by everything, even going so far as to term politically correct terms as being offensive and (inconsistently) deleting posts as a result.
I think it's this type overzealousness that has probably stymied some of the more entertaining/interesting posters.
People are therefore afraid of perhaps raising more risque topics or posting slightly more borderline media. Why risk a ban from this community when you can post it all day long on social media without fear of such actions?

Banning terms such as snow-flake yet allowing some individuals to constantly call others racist/nazis/bigots/xyzphobe, generally without reason, probably grinds on people too.
oh you in trouble now son!!

Soldato
Just LOL if you're an ex 90's party boy who did far too many drugs and know believes they're trapped in a cage created by THE MAN who is there to repress everything you want to do and that an internet forum which you publically stated you were leaving for good now moderates the very posts you want to make complaining about your freedoms.

Noobs.
This 'Just LOL...' phase has got to stop

Back
Top Bottom