GD is going to love this one - Rape case collapse

Man of Honour
I suggest seeing if anything changes first. Changing the person fronting the department in response to temporary media coverage of obvious wrongdoing is not the same as changing the policy which caused that wrongdoing, nor does it remove the relentless political pressure which caused that policy. We still have a society in which, for example, there is positive media coverage of a Facebook campaign to end rape trials entirely and simply convict any man accused of rape by any woman without even bothering with an investigation, let alone a trial. I saw that positive coverage on the BBC news website just a couple of days ago.

Caporegime
OP
We still have a society in which, for example, there is positive media coverage of a Facebook campaign to end rape trials entirely and simply convict any man accused of rape by any woman without even bothering with an investigation, let alone a trial. I saw that positive coverage on the BBC news website just a couple of days ago.

Source?

Man of Honour

How do you search the BBC news website?

Anyway, it was a story about a hashtag that (according to the BBC) is trending. You can find plenty on it by looking for "#believeher". The point, obvious from the name and context, is for every man accused of rape by a woman to be summarily convicted. Anything else, even the most cursory of investigations, obviously isn't "believe her". If something must be believed, it must not be questioned.

Caporegime
OP
Googled it for you:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-43581569

After rugby rape acquittal, #IBelieveHer trends

On Wednesday Ireland and Ulster rugby players Paddy Jackson and Stuart Olding were found not guilty of raping a woman in 2016.

The reaction on social media was swift and determined, echoing the #MeToo movement about sexual harassment which erupted in late 2017.

Many claim the criminal justice system's handling of sex offence allegations reflects the poor state of women's rights in Northern Ireland. More than 41,000 people so far have used the hashtag #IBelieveHer.

Others argue defendants are tried in a court of law, not by social media, and criticise people for trying to subvert a legal ruling.

The article is reporting the news, it doesn't put a positive or negative spin on anything.

Caporegime
It's weird how supposed liberals promote the oppression of women (ie. wearing Burkhas) as an expression of freedom and yet at the same women who want the freedom to make a very good living modelling at sporting events have that freedom stripped away from them. With #MeToo and #IBelieveHer they now also seem intent on making women social pariahs by making men scared to death of being anywhere around a woman in case of being falsely accused. It's like womens liberation in reverse but using colourful language and seemingly well meaning arguments to send women back to the dark ages. I bet it won't be long before women are being told to cover up their bodies in public because men (toxic masculinity I believe the buzzword is) can't be trusted to control themselves.

Man of Honour
It's weird how supposed liberals promote the oppression of women (ie. wearing Burkhas) as an expression of freedom and yet at the same women who want the freedom to make a very good living modelling at sporting events have that freedom stripped away from them. With #MeToo and #IBelieveHer they now also seem intent on making women social pariahs by making men scared to death of being anywhere around a woman in case of being falsely accused. It's like womens liberation in reverse but using colourful language and seemingly well meaning arguments to send women back to the dark ages. I bet it won't be long before women are being told to cover up their bodies in public because men (toxic masculinity I believe the buzzword is) can't be trusted to control themselves.

How does wearing a Burkha = oppression of women?

Caporegime
How does wearing a Burkha = oppression of women?

it doesn't necessarily, it is dependent on the reasons for wearing it - if someone has been pressured or forced to wear one then that is oppressive, wearing one out of choice because of personal religious or cultural beliefs isn't

Soldato
I know someone who has a false accusation of domestic abuse and violence against him, it's going to crown court and been hanging over his head for 15 months so far. It has now been delayed by another 9 months because the prosecution haven't handed over any of their medical 'evidence' - even after he got a court order for it to be handed over by the beginning of March. Still nothing hence the further delay.

To even get this far, the police "investigated" the matter over a few months, didn't once look at a file of evidence he put together which contradicted a lot of her story, things like a video of her dancing the day after he supposedly broke her foot. The police told him they weren't interested in it, then charged him. It has been a process of implied guilt from the outset.

A friend of mine who has worked in crown court for years said it will totally depend on which judge he gets (Doesn't sound like justice does it) but he's likely to be found guilty, mainly because the amount of cases they see where the man is the perpetrator, they will hardly entertain the idea the woman maliciously setting him up. Especially when that woman is an attractive, intelligent articulate professional, who knows how to turn on the sob story to garner sympathy. (It's my ex, so I know exactly what she is like - looks like I really dodged a bullet by not marrying her! :eek:)

Caporegime
And another: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43952462

Even worse is CPS pushing for prosecution on Male2 despite him stopping when she asked and stopped Male1 and despite the victim stating as much.

I actually went looking for this thread to add the same story. It's insane, it sounds like the two men going back was fine, started sex was fine then at some point she said to stop, the second guy stopped straight away and pulled off (not like that) the other guy as he wouldn't stop.

The CPS had that statement, there was no way at all he could be even remotely accused of rape, she wasn't accusing him and she gave a statement specifically stating he did nothing wrong, shouldn't be charged and even said she was glad he was there to help her. So the CPS has him charged and going to trial anyway? Most of the cases in this thread are terrible but most have a woman accusing (most of them proven to be falsely) the man on trial, this is the CPS charging a guy the woman was thankful he was there and said he never did anything wrong.... what the hell.

SEriously whoever decided to press charges should actually be charged with abusing their office and abusing their position to presumably push their own agenda and ignore the rule of law. The others are bad, really bad but this one is truly beyond believable "hey this guy stopped when I asked him to and helped stop the other guy raping me" "okay, we'll charge him with rape"..... Seriously whoever gave the go ahead to do that deserves jail time.

Caporegime
BBC Panarama did an episode on it tonight, from the cases they highlighted it basically appears that the police are at worst framing people by manipulating and withholding evidence and at best not bothering to investigate all of the evidence properly and/or are massively incompetent.

Caporegime
I mean, charging a guy who actually prevented a damn rape.... with a statement that the victim was thankful he was there and wasn't alone with the guy who wouldn't stop when she said no. Not at worst or best, they were 100% setting this guy up. The prosecutors are saying that they gave the lawyers the statement while the lawyers say they didn't have it.... but that is like saying we know he's not guilty, we're charging him but we promise we gave you the evidence we've seen that proves he shouldn't be being charged. How is that a defence of what they did, he shouldn't have been charged or even arrested. He should have been spoken to after the story she gave them as a witness against the other guy and never anything else.

The other cases could potentially best case be mistakes but this one is beyond that, it's flat out attempt to frame and massive manipulation.

Caporegime
But he himself said "as an expression of freedom"

Which makes no sense if you are making the argument that they are oppressed.

I said that liberals are promoting it as an expression of freedom but in my opinion it's akin to domestic mental abuse, just because someone is conditioned by their abuser that staying in the house is normal doesn't mean it's freedom to stay inside. Wearing the burkha has become a cultural thing but it's hardly freedom of expression, in middle eastern countries women not wearing the burkha is seen as freedom from oppression.

Back
Top Bottom