GDPR preferences selection

Soldato
Hi all.

Does anyone know why some websites keep asking me to make my GDPR preferences selections again and again?

For each of them I ensure that the ability to use cookies IS enabled so that my preferences are saved, but a few days later the site will ask me again.

How do I get my preferences to be remembered and never asked again?

Many thanks.

M.

Soldato
Your choice will be saved as a cookie so if you clear browser data you'll get asked again.
Also might be the website you're visiting had the wrong time limit set on the cookie - there's nothing you can do about that other than tell them and wait for them to change it.

Soldato
Many sites keep asking in the hope you will eventually give up or make a mistake and give permission.

Some have interpreted the rule as: if you don't give permission to the site to store cookies then they have to ask you every single time you visit - because they can't store a cookie to save your choice that you don't want cookies.

Man of Honour
Some have interpreted the rule as: if you don't give permission to the site to store cookies then they have to ask you every single time you visit - because they can't store a cookie to save your choice that you don't want cookies.
Quite a few of the sites store the fact I declined everything... but still presenr me with a big accept button and a tiny link to review preferences every time I visit. Some are getting so annoying on my phone that I just leave the site.

Soldato
Quite a few of the sites store the fact I declined everything... but still presenr me with a big accept button and a tiny link to review preferences every time I visit. Some are getting so annoying on my phone that I just leave the site.

The sky sports app is one of these offenders, I rarely open the app now as I get frustrated.

Soldato
Does that opt out or just dismiss the notice? A lot of these notices will default to accept all if you click elsewhere on the page.

I think it just hides it completely. But if your also blocking cookies etc, accepting won't give them anything anyway.

So thus plugin the does that for you. Dismisses / hides the messages and blocks marketing cookies at the same time.

Its not massively aggressive blocking cookies because they do have a legitimate use, that's partly why you're using this plugin - to remove a message that's basically just saying "do you understand how websites work?" that you essentially need to always allow.

Soldato
I think it just hides it completely. But if your also blocking cookies etc, accepting won't give them anything anyway.

Yeah looks like it just clicks allow for you

By using it, you explicitly allow websites to do whatever they want with cookies they set on your computer (which they mostly do anyway, whether you allow them or not)

Any recommendations on a cookie blocking extension? Ideally one that automatically blocks unless I whitelist a site.

Soldato
Yeah looks like it just clicks allow for you

Any recommendations on a cookie blocking extension? Ideally one that automatically blocks unless I whitelist a site.

So, no, those plugins block advertising cookies (pretty much 99% of the sites your visiting are going to use one of 10 major tracking services) they don't just click allow. So pretty handy for that and means you don't have to worry about maintaining your own blacklist.

But, this is part of the problem - you can do all this (white list, black lists for cookies) via the settings in your browser (in chrome: chrome://settings/content/cookies) There was never a need to have this heavy handed crap (like the cookie policy) if people just knew how this stuff worked.

I don't particularly recommend blocking all cookies, I mean it's literally going to stop you being able to use search on some sites, but yeah. Have fun.

Soldato
So, no, those plugins block advertising cookies (pretty much 99% of the sites your visiting are going to use one of 10 major tracking services) they don't just click allow. So pretty handy for that and means you don't have to worry about maintaining your own blacklist.

But, this is part of the problem - you can do all this (white list, black lists for cookies) via the settings in your browser (in chrome: chrome://settings/content/cookies) There was never a need to have this heavy handed crap (like the cookie policy) if people just knew how this stuff worked.

I don't particularly recommend blocking all cookies, I mean it's literally going to stop you being able to use search on some sites, but yeah. Have fun.

His site and the chrome extension page make no mention of blocking cookies, just that it hides the cookie notice. He says in the comments as well that it can't automatically opt out so to me it reads as the extension will default to accept as a last measure to hide the notice and he says in the comments that "visitors protect themselves in other ways so there is no need to do it".

I'm not trying to be difficult, its just not very clear about what the extension does (to me anyway :p ). If it is automatically clicking accept on some sites then personally I'd rather not use it and opt out manually.

Soldato
His site and the chrome extension page make no mention of blocking cookies, just that it hides the cookie notice. He says in the comments as well that it can't automatically opt out so to me it reads as the extension will default to accept as a last measure to hide the notice and he says in the comments that "visitors protect themselves in other ways so there is no need to do it".

I'm not trying to be difficult, its just not very clear about what the extension does (to me anyway :p ). If it is automatically clicking accept on some sites then personally I'd rather not use it and opt out manually.

Ohhh snap, sorry, you're right. Last time I was trouble shooting some cookie notice stuff for a site I was developing I thought it was this plugin blocking it. Looking at it now it looks like it was juts my regular ad blocker actually blocking the cookies (which I also had to disable to test some ad crap :rolleyes:
)

Back
Top Bottom