GE66 Raider

Associate
Google reckons it's the PCH (Platform Control Hub).

Re: SSD temps - both HWInfo and WD's own software. Each only reports one temp for each drive.

Maybe you should give CrystalDiskInfo a download and see if the temp reading there matches up with what the other two say? Just checked and it defo shows the flash memory temp and not the controller.

One other thing and this is for any GE66 owners out there, during your Timespy runs are you able to get the GPU core to go higher than 1,750 or so? It boosts higher than that during the demo part of the benchmark, but for the actual benchmark I can't seem to get it higher than 1,750 or so no matter what I do, yet during games it can go as high as 2,050. It's very strange.

Last edited:
Soldato
One other thing and this is for any GE66 owners out there, during your Timespy runs are you able to get the GPU core to go higher than 1,750 or so? It boosts higher than that during the demo part of the benchmark, but for the actual benchmark I can't seem to get it higher than 1,750 or so no matter what I do, yet during games it can go as high as 2,050. It's very strange.

That's normal and probably normal for desktop GPUs.

(I spent too much some time looking at the MSI AB monitoring charts when I initially got mine - I like to understand what's going on so I can work with the limitations.)

Different scenes pose different amounts of stress on the GPU - a simple scene may not require much complexity, in which case fewer components of the chip are being used, so it can boost up to ~2100 Mhz before being power-limited.

You can also try with different benchmarks - e.g. Unigine Valley, the clockspeed is all over the place, but Superposition the clockspeed stays pretty low because the GPU is really taxed.

Take a look at the "Power Limit" plot in MSI AB.

I always like to see the power, voltage and temp limits to see which one is limiting. I don't think I've ever seen a temp limit on this GE66, which is good. It's always power, which is why that 140 W vBIOS mentioned elsewhere would be beneficial. I don't think I can be bothered for the sake of 10W though. (My 2060 was frustratingly power limited to about 85W, so flashing that to 115W was totally worth it).

Associate
Yeah I did think that, but if I run the Timespy benchmark with the demo option turned on, during the demo the GPU boosts all the way above 2,000 and the scenes look practically identical to those used in the benchmark. I've aso seen Timespy benchmarks from ASUS and Lenovo laptop owners with the 3070 where they seem to be getting fully boosted clock speeds throughout their Timespy runs. It's not a big deal as the boost works fine in games, but I just like to know what's going on :)

As for the limit indicator, it's pretty much always power even with the 140W vBIOS installed, very rarely will it say voltage and I've never seen it say temperature.

Soldato
MSI Afterburner beta extends memory limits, so now I'm running 8800 MHz on memory :D

2000 crashes instantly, 1900 nearly finished Superposition, so 1800 should be good.

Testing further with some benchmarks and games.

EDIT - not going to bother going further than +1000 for games, but +1700 is good for mining, with zero invalid.

+1750 or higher leads to minor geometry issues in Unigine Heaven and Horizon Zero Dawn.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
i was away to go order a monitor, which my laptop will be hooked up to a lot.
The monitor has hdmi and display port, reviews say it has to be display port to get the full 100Hz of the monitor. do i need a DP/MiniDP to go into the back of my laptop? and will i get the full 100Hz through it?

Soldato
I had the same query.

Depends what res you need, but the GE66 has DP 1.4 over mini DP. See my post here.

On my Legion 5 I'm using USB-C -> DisplayPort.

On my work PC (Surface Pro), it can only handle 100 Hz over mini DP -> HDMI.

Associate
OP
Thanks, this is the monitor that I got, but I never got it from ocuk found it a lot cheaper somewhere else,
But looking at the link it says
Note
Display Port: 3440 x 1440 (Up to 100Hz)
HDMI: 3440 x 1440 (Up to 100Hz)
So I take it I can use either or?
Or would usb c / display port be an option I'm not that Up to speed anymore or res/Hz etc

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/MSI-...LhJ5TXA6SX2r2PRPd7fh6W5NUEpYnsu-AfuwfrYOyt7IQ

Soldato
Yes, 3440 x 1440 @ 100 Hz is basically the max for HDMI 2.0. That's what I use from the Surface Pro, as it can't output any more.

I would use mini-DP -> DP, unless you've got an HDMI kicking around, in which case that would do (I assume the GE66 has HDMI - I can't remember!)

Associate
OP
OK thanks ill go order one as it looks like only a standard one will come in the box... I do have an HDMI spare bit not sure if the quality.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom