Gen 8 Micro server Boot off SSD and install windows 10

Caporegime
I was going to post this in the Micro server thread but I just need basic instructions...

I have googled but there seems to be many configs to choose from.

All I want to do is install an SSD in the CD drive bay using the sata header on the mobo.

Then install windows 10 on the ssd

Boot off the ssd to windows 10

Install stablebit drivepool and add my disks from the old pool and old server.

Can I do this and whats the easiest method?

I understand I loose AHCI mode? is this true? what speed is the mobo sata connector?

I don't want to use raid at all

cheers

Associate
If you want to use the CD/DVD sata for an OS, you have to enable raid.

I have 1xSSD and 2x3TB all drives at raid 0 on my setup. To clarify, each disk is setup as it's own raid 0 array. None of the disks rely on each other, they're all independent.

As far as I'm aware there's no way around it.

Last edited:
Associate
At a push(please correct me if I'm wrong) you could install an OS on a USB stick and use the internal USB port. This would get round your RAID problem, however I'm not sure how well the system would run.

Soldato
If you want to use the CD/DVD sata for an OS, you have to enable raid.

I have 1xSSD and 2x3TB all drives at raid 0 on my setup. To clarify, each disk is setup as it's own raid 0 array. None of the disks rely on each other, they're all independent.

As far as I'm aware there's no way around it.

You don't need raid BUT in this case you have to install the OS on a drive (SSD or HDD, <2TB) in the first slot (Bay 1, LHS) - if you use ACHI then the system will always boot from Drive bay 1. You can then install 3 x HDDs in bays 2, 3, and 4.

I have a 120GB SSD in bay 1 (via a physical adapter to lift it) with Win 7 Home Premium installed on it, and 2x 6TB and 1 x 4TB drives (NON Raid) in Bays 2, 3, and 4. When I set this up Win 10 drivers were not available. They may be now.

The DVD slot at the top is bay 5 and a non raid system will not boot from it.

I installed the OS from a DVD via a USB 2 connected portable DVD drive (the USB 3 slots do not have drivers until OS installed).

Mel

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
You don't need raid BUT in this case you have to install the OS on a drive (SSD or HDD, <2TB) in the first slot (Bay 1, LHS) - if you use ACHI then the system will always boot from Drive bay 1. You can then install 3 x HDDs in bays 2, 3, and 4.

I have a 120GB SSD in bay 1 (via a physical adapter to lift it) with Win 7 Home Premium installed on it, and 2x 6TB and 1 x 4TB drives (NON Raid) in Bays 2, 3, and 4. When I set this up Win 10 drivers were not available. They may be now.

The DVD slot at the top is bay 5 and a non raid system will not boot from it.

I installed the OS from a DVD via a USB 2 connected portable DVD drive (the USB 3 slots do not have drivers until OS installed).

Mel

Could you then use the 5th odd SATA connector for a 5th drive?

Soldato
Could you then use the 5th odd SATA connector for a 5th drive?

Probably (as it's slot 5) but only using an SSD as space is limited. Not sure how fast it would be as HP have only designed as a CD/DVD slot. Once I got mine working I have left well alone!!! (apart from swapping a 3 TB drive to a 6TB drive recently. When I tried to install the OS on bay 5 it would not recognise the drive unless I put it in raid 0. I seem to remember then that as soon as I put non-raided drives into slot 1, 2, 3, 4 the system treid to boot from Bay 1 - which had no OS installed. I am quite happy with potentially 18TB of storage in Bays 2, 3, and 4. Suppose if I was mad I could buy 3 x 8TB and throw money down the drain!

Mel

Last edited:
Soldato
May be bays 3 and 4 are slower but in real life have not been bothered by (lack of) speed of storage drives. I tend to back up stuff to server as a background task.

I think OS on bay 1 and storage in bays 2, 3 and 4 is only non raid / ACHI way to install on the microserver?

GDL

GDL

Associate
Yup.
Realistically the fastest you can get data to the disks on the Gen8 is around 240/MBs that's using both NIC's in a team but even that is dependent on the source(s) /switch or OS setups.

For a backup or media server you won't notice unless you really start looking at singular disk performance.

Soldato
Then install windows 10 on the ssd

cheers

Be advised that installing a non-server edition of windows is pretty much a manual process. Only windows server editions install all drivers etc. (well it was with win 7 - equivalent to win server 2008)

Last edited:
Soldato
Could I use the internal USB to boot ESXi, and install the hosts on an ssd in bay 1? Then have the remaining bays as storage accessible to the VMs?

Would that be a sensible setup?

Back
Top Bottom