*** General TVs Talk Thread ***

Soldato
if it's not on flatpanels/rtings/hdtvtest/ + couple of french sites, it's not a contender ?
Sorry mate I am not quite sure what point your trying to make, if you put the model number into Google you will find it across Amazon and AO etc for user reviews.

I am all ears if you can recommend anything better, presumably that is what you are trying suggest?

Soldato
yes - The point was - are there any 'professional' reviews, they often given a concise summary of pros/cons of a model, I've seen little on the Philips led's.

flatpanels has a bit https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1548226019
but I'd like to know what panel I'm getting before I part with £600
looks like the 6753 has the newer faster andorid soc https://www.avforums.com/threads/philips-7304-reviews-experiences.2233157/ good.
... the stuff on microdimming/fald for next model up is interesting
I hadn't realised they are not vestel sets

Philips 7304 'The One'
- 43” 50” 55” 58” 65” 70”
- Slim 4K UHD DLED TV
- 3-sided Ambilight
- P5 Perfect Picture Processing
- Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos
- Micro Dimming Pro
- HLG and HDR 10+ Compatible
- Philips Sound System 20W with DTS HD
- Android TV Pie (9) OS with Google Assistant built-in and ‘Works with Alexa’
- Ultra-light sliver bezel with silver T- Bar swivel stand – 65” & 70’ has silver blade stick feet

Philips 6704 / 6754
- 43” 50” 55” 65” 70”
- Ultra Slim 4K DLED TV
- 3-sided Ambilight.
- Philips Saphi Smart TV system
- Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos
- Pixel Precise Ultra HD engine
- HLG and HDR10+ compatible
- 20W Philips sound system
- 6704 has slim black bezel - gloss on front, matt on sides - and black blade feet
- 6754 has slim silver bezel with silver blade feet

The 2018 equivalent of "the one" (is this name assuming consumers are simple folks?), the PUS7303, was one of those TVs that forced buyers play the awful "panel lottery". Even on the same sizes, you could randomly get a VA or IPS panel, the VA being a strange one that used spatial dithering and created ugly checkerboard artifacts at the pixel level, and the IPS, well, having the usual IPS problems (low contrast, uniformity issues, etc.)

So, choosing such a TV is never simple for a non-naive consumer, and simply branding the next version as "The one" doesn't solve any of the above problems. The Chinese company TPV sitting behind the Philips name (do we detect a pattern here, hiding behind names?) should instead concentrate on improving their panels, maintaining quality consistency between sets (another issue apparent), and giving up the panel lottery..

Micro Dimming
Micro Dimming-the most simple technology in TV has 300 zones, local dimming technology is only responsible for the improvement of the contrast makes black color deeper.

Micro Dimming pro
Micro Dimming pro-In addition to creating a deeper level of black, the technology also improves sharpness and color depth. It also has 300 zones.

Micro Dimming Ultimate
Micro Dimming Ultimate-has 600 zones, which gives a better picture as compared to the pro, the rest is similar.

Soldato
looks like the 6753 has the newer faster andorid soc https://www.avforums.com/threads/philips-7304-reviews-experiences.2233157/ good.
that was wrong https://www.homecinemachoice.com/content/philips-43pus6753-4k-hdr-tv-review .. not android - Saphi is OS!, although does have dv

Obviously the 43PUS6753 is 'net-connected, but here Philips doesn’t use an Android TV operating system like its more expensive stablemates. Instead it runs the brand's new stripped-back Linux-based SAPHI Smart OS – and the big surprise is that it’s actually rather good.
Read more at https://www.homecinemachoice.com/content/philips-43pus6753-4k-hdr-tv-review#Ad5cKzHy5z9rLlPh.99
The screen, being a budget model, doesn’t feature Philips' advanced P5 image processor, but there’s still jargon to juggle. A Micro Dimming system for its direct LED implementation is aided by Pixel Precise Ultra HD processing and 4K UHD Natural Motion. Compared to the competition, there's a lot going on behind the scenes.
Read more at https://www.homecinemachoice.com/content/philips-43pus6753-4k-hdr-tv-review#Ad5cKzHy5z9rLlPh.99

Soldato
OP
Had a good while to test some of these TVs casually in a closed off showroom a few days ago. Tbh with you the only OLEDs that stood out were the Sony ones. In particular the upscaling is simply a step above anything else, LG was just too soft. Phillips were bleah in terms of colour and brightness. LG wasn't too hot on brightness either, but not too far off from the AG9. Neither were bright enough for my liking but I did think at least they have the sort of depth from per-pixel illumination where you could get away with it if you're particular about it. In terms of overall image quality and punch, a definite win to Sony for me, but I'd hesitate to buy it due to missing HDMI 2.1 & lacking brightness & way overpriced. Panasonic was closer to Sony but felt like a worse version of it, so kinda pointless.

As for LCDs, the Samsung disappointed me with anything but brightness, and Sony's XG95 (65'') was quite good, nearing that sense of depth you'd get from an OLED, and was overall a small but clear step up from my 55'' XF90. Wouldn't pay what they're asking for it today, but anyone picking one up on black friday will be very pleased with what they're getting.

I'm still somewhat tempted to get an OLED as a second display for particular situations where you just need that great contrast and don't mind the brightness but I remain mostly unconvinced by it. Thankfully, ones like B8 are cheap enough that it's not gonna break the bank.

Sadly, they didn't have any of the 8K TVs available so I haven't had the chance to see the ones from this year.

Guess I'll just have to wait another year. Might as well have a bit of time to save up some more.

Soldato
Had a good while to test some of these TVs casually in a closed off showroom a few days ago. Tbh with you the only OLEDs that stood out were the Sony ones. In particular the upscaling is simply a step above anything else, LG was just too soft. Phillips were bleah in terms of colour and brightness. LG wasn't too hot on brightness either, but not too far off from the AG9. Neither were bright enough for my liking but I did think at least they have the sort of depth from per-pixel illumination where you could get away with it if you're particular about it. In terms of overall image quality and punch, a definite win to Sony for me, but I'd hesitate to buy it due to missing HDMI 2.1 & lacking brightness & way overpriced. Panasonic was closer to Sony but felt like a worse version of it, so kinda pointless.

As for LCDs, the Samsung disappointed me with anything but brightness, and Sony's XG95 (65'') was quite good, nearing that sense of depth you'd get from an OLED, and was overall a small but clear step up from my 55'' XF90. Wouldn't pay what they're asking for it today, but anyone picking one up on black friday will be very pleased with what they're getting.

I'm still somewhat tempted to get an OLED as a second display for particular situations where you just need that great contrast and don't mind the brightness but I remain mostly unconvinced by it. Thankfully, ones like B8 are cheap enough that it's not gonna break the bank.

Sadly, they didn't have any of the 8K TVs available so I haven't had the chance to see the ones from this year.

Guess I'll just have to wait another year. Might as well have a bit of time to save up some more.

I found exactly what you found, the Sony OLEDs were the only ones that looked right to me, the motion is strange on the LGs and not natural even after turning off all the motion stuff, it was either a funky soap opera effect or stutters to me if you look carefully at panning video.

The Panasonic were the next best.

The Samsungs are a bad joke, over saturated images (even trying to bring them down does not help, what they really need is re-calibrating to real levels) and funny motion too.

I ended up with the 75" XF9005 as you have and happy I ended up with it even after the last update issues, that i ended up fixing the ones that annoyed me but still the dim menus when HDR content is on and the home page that is dim too compared to before but got use to it now. Still in my opinion the best LCD FALD for the money, the XG95 with the X-wide displays kills the contrast ratios and compared the 75" with the 75" XF9 and I thought the XF9 had the better picture dead on, but the XG9 from very wide angles had better picture but I don't know anyone watching at them angles. :-/

Last edited:
Soldato
should have put in general tv thread but
this article was interesting about ressurgence of Samsung(albeit a translation)
https://www.zdnet.com/article/fear-...e-axe-for-oled-tv-burn-in-and-market-squeeze/
critiqueing LG for all their eggs in one oled/basket, suggesting that samsung qled/uled/qd_oled(may resolve any ageing issues better!)

new Vincent video - complimentary of panasonic gz950 (55" ~ £1500 costco join up ?)
- they avoided the lg/sony flashing macro-block issue 2 years ago ( so last years model ~£1200 seems good too vs C8)
- basically says bfi is work in progress for all oled brands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUQlEsTTibk

Associate
new Vincent video - complimentary of panasonic gz950 (55" ~ £1500 costco join up ?)
- they avoided the lg/sony flashing macro-block issue 2 years ago ( so last years model ~£1200 seems good too vs C8)
- basically says bfi is work in progress for all oled brands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUQlEsTTibk

Just double checking, the gz950 55 is 1500 in store at Costco? Ones just opened near us :p and it's either this or the c8 I'm looking at.

Soldato
Just double checking, the gz950 55 is 1500 in store at Costco?
that's what they said on hotuk ..
people always say the meat/cheese, bulk buy options are excellent, plus car tyres ... and you often see tv deals...
so I would be having an individual or shared membership if there was one close by .. mines 50miles away

Caporegime
whats the best tv for £400-500 thought about adding a samsung ru 7100 but being put off by viewing angles reviews on it. hisense seem decent picture but bad on motion or poor support.

Associate
Had hoped to upgrade from my 10 year old Panasonic plasma this year but a severe lack of hdmi 2.1 TVs has been a bit disappointing. Is it really only the 2019 LG OLEDs that properly support it for now?

Soldato
Had hoped to upgrade from my 10 year old Panasonic plasma this year but a severe lack of hdmi 2.1 TVs has been a bit disappointing. Is it really only the 2019 LG OLEDs that properly support it for now?

Yup, everyone else budgeted out as far as I can tell unless LG somehow blocked them from using it (oled I mean) obviously LCD makers could have done what they wanted.

Apparently Samsung has said somewhere that for Q90R owners it will replace their one connect box with an HDMI2.1 version later on for free, lol - that remains to be seen I wouldn’t buy one until they actually ship it with that if it’s important

Soldato

Not that I was going to get a new TV in 2019, happy with my LG B6, but like you said the lack of hdmi 2.1 would have given me reason to wait longer. Weather or not hdmi 2.1 is a deal breaker it would be better when Sony/Panasonic... all have hdmi 2.1, just to give buyers a better choice if its a feature they must have.

Soldato
Have their been any thorough VRR reviews of this years OLEDs yet? Wondering if they'll be suitable for next gen consoles or not, I haven't seen any real confirmed range tests for 4k. 40-120hz? More? Less?

Back
Top Bottom