General Email Question

Soldato
Hi

I want to switch over to linux but i have all my emails on windows stored in Thunderbird. How could i get these emails from Thunderbird in windows, to Thunderbird in Linix? (either suse or ubuntu, not sure yet!)

I have a gmail account, and short of sending each email to gmail, im not sure how i can do it, and there is a fair few emails.

Oh and by the way, SuSe or Ubuntu?

Soldato
OP
it has an import option but from what i can see, you can only import messages from other email clients on the same pc.

There is also mozbackup that you can use to backup profiles but that doesnt run on linux. I can save the profiles and what not onto cd from within documents and settings folder, but then, the filesystem is different on linux.

Permabanned
you should just be able to dump the mailboxes in your Windows Thunderbird profile into your Linux profile. In fact you may as well just drop the entire contents of one profile over the other (taking a backup copy first of course :) ).

Soldato
M0KUJ1N said:
you should just be able to dump the mailboxes in your Windows Thunderbird profile into your Linux profile. In fact you may as well just drop the entire contents of one profile over the other (taking a backup copy first of course :) ).

Exactly what I do. Thunderbird uses the same mail format irrespective of platform so no need to arse about with importing or exporting.

Soldato
OP
Burbleflop said:
Exactly what I do. Thunderbird uses the same mail format irrespective of platform so no need to arse about with importing or exporting.

Well i installed ubuntu and tried this, and it didnt work for some reason. Just copied the profiles from my external drive into /home/.mozilla~thunderbird directory and nothing :(

Any other ideas?

Soldato
Tried putting them in /home/.thunderbird aswell/instead of?

My Fedora box has everything in .thunderbird, my colleagues ubuntu one has .mozilla-thunderbird which is just a link to .thunderbird.

Soldato
OP
AndrewP said:
Tried putting them in /home/.thunderbird aswell/instead of?

My Fedora box has everything in .thunderbird, my colleagues ubuntu one has .mozilla-thunderbird which is just a link to .thunderbird.

didnt notice a .thunderbird dir in there, i'll have a look when i get home :)

Cheers.

Soldato
I just copied my old thunderbird stuff into my new linux install and it works ok.
Code:
cp -fr /old/location/.mozilla-thunderbird ~/.mozilla-thunderbird
works ok for me :)

also the directory for windows - C: / Documents and Settings/user/Application Data/Thunderbird/Profiles/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom