general opperating system request?

Associate
Just finished my new build, about to install windows. I have been told by a "supposed" IT technition at my work that because of my cpu and hard drive i will need to slipstream windows xp and sp2 to get a hassel free easy installation that will recognise all my hardwear properly. Is this the case or will i get the same results installing xp and then sp2 over the top (my original assumption). Also as the resulting slipstreamed iso will be large is it fine to burn it to a dvd and boot from that or does it need to be on 2 cds?

set up

Intel Pentium D 930 (BX80553930) Dual Core 3.00GHz FSB 800 2 X 2Mb Cache 775
Cosair Value 2GB (2x1GB) PC5300 667MHz DDR2 Dual Channel Kit

Western Digital Caviar Special Edition 160GB 1600JS SATA-II 8MB Cache-

Western Digital Secure Connect Serial ATA Cable (CB-000-WD)

Western Digital Caviar ATA 120 gig hard drive

Matrox Dual Head G55+ mdha32db graphics card (pci)

M Audio 96/24 audiophile sound card (pci)

Chieftec Tx 10wd case (axt form- same design and dimmensions as new Chieftec Dragon Series Full Tower)

Zalman CNPS9500-AT Aero Flower (Socket 775) CPU Cooler

Tagan TG420-U01 420W ATX2.0 Silent PSU (CA-002-TG)

Gigabyte 8I945P-G £71

Man of Honour
Using a windows install disk with with SP2 slipstreamed will help the instalation where using SATA devices but it's not a requirement. SATA devices were not around at the original release. However, you can still install windows with your SATA devices using the original release by installing them as 3rd party devices (F6 during install) You must have the appropriate drivers available on floppy first.

Once installed, you can then install SP2.

Soldato
Yeah, slipstreaming will save you a bit of hassle and also time. SP2 can take an age to install sometimes.

I would go with a slipstream. You should be able to burn it to DVD. The PC doesn't really care what media you install from as long as it can be read :)

SiriusB

Soldato
If you don't slipstream and use an original disk, your larger harddisk will only be detected as 127Gb - I found this out the hard way :(

They changed to 48bit logical block addressing (or something :rolleyes:...) in SP1, which allows larger HDs to be recognised.

Soldato
Splistream m8, it will save you a lot of trouble like mentioned above plus original XP (2001 :eek: ) did not have native support for USB 2, Bluetooth, etc... There's also Windows Security Center, lets just say the list is endless. I believe there's also a small benefit of having all this newer features installed during Windows installation rather than post-installation :)

After Slipstreaming you can burn onto a CD-R, should fit fine (files should be even less than 650MB :confused: ). Then you can always backup the ISO on to a DVD-R just incase :D

EDIT: http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp :cool:

Last edited:
Man of Honour
A.N.Other said:
If you don't slipstream and use an original disk, your larger harddisk will only be detected as 127Gb - I found this out the hard way :(

They changed to 48bit logical block addressing (or something :rolleyes:...) in SP1, which allows larger HDs to be recognised.

Interesting :confused: I have a 250gb SATA disk. No problems at all after installing from a vanilla copy of XP pro.. I did install the drivers as third party drivers.

Back
Top Bottom