Gerbils

Soldato
Correct. Hamsters, on the other hand, absolutely reek. Gerbils are very clean.

And guinea pigs make the best noises. :D

My daughter's hamster (called bear) doesn't smell at all. I guess most desert rodents don't wee much so if kept clean the cage shouldn't smell.

Bear has turned into a really good family pet. Cubes when called, climbs onto your hand and is very happy in a sleeve peeking out!

Associate
skyripper

Lol , some of that rings bells, we had Gerbils when I was really young, and then again from 84-88. (a 3, then later a 5 unit rotastak).
Good to hear about the large cage :), I'm planning on getting a 120x50x50 aquarium (or close to if a 2nd hand one shows up).

I'll be getting my Gerbils from a rescue centre, probably from https://www.gerbilandrodentrescue.co.uk/animals-looking-for-new-homes near Croydon. Hopefully they'll be clued up on the sexes! ;)

Hodders
Awesome! :)

Soldato
OP
Good to hear :), I wonder if the op has had equally good results?
Missed all this.

Yes, the gerbils are fantastic. They are very sociable and we only have a few nips early on. The lad loves them and they are happy to go a day with out holding but they get a handle every 2 days easy.

They don't smell at all, but ideally you do need a removable tray that hopefully they pee in. As the smell does develop as the wood is used more. We've replaced it only once and that was recently.

Back
Top Bottom