German Doner Kebab

Associate
OP
3 shops have popped up near me in recent weeks.
Not saying that it's the greatest since sliced Kebab:D but it is less greasy with an added twist.
Can fill you up if you pop extra meat in so beware.

Associate
OP
We have one of these local, really good quality for doner kebab, the 'boss box' as a lazy evening Deliveroo order is hard to beat

I work in Reading so that's how I get mine delivered.

There are only a few reasons to ever be in Reading.... the local branch of German Doner is one of those!!

Whatever else you order, be sure to include half a dozen of their spring rolls!!

Yes that's my lunch time treat placed an order last week Friday and four guys jumped in on my order but only one chap actually paid me back:mad:

Got a branch now in High Wycombe and another in Slough...lovely great to have a port in a storm.

Associate
OP
"These meats are imported directly from Germany to maintain quality and consistency. We only use fresh, locally produced vegetables that are delivered and prepared daily along with our special "Doner Kebab" bread"

Associate
OP
I think that the German Kebab are not trying to be like the Greek, Turkish and Lebanese places -don't get me started on a Lebanese breakfast yummy.
I think they are trying to market themselves as a kind of fast food gourmet cuisine. If I pop out lunch time I could order a Mikey D, Burger King or a German Donner. If I wanted a Turkish, Lebanese or Greek then I would be sitting down to eat that's the niche market they are after.

Associate
OP
Loads of the non-chain grilled meat places do takeaways too. You don't have to sit down and have the full restaurant experience, they are happy to sell you food in a box. It seems a no brainer to me to support the small local businesses that give you better food rather than a chain.

Not sure if got my point have you been into a German Kabab shop yet ? Not sure if you can really equate small local business to the German Kebab shop experience.

Associate
OP
Should be getting one later any one else still going to get one?

If you do tell us what you think about it. I know it is not a Michelin star grade meal but in times of hungry it's something that you can bosh down when you want a bite.

Associate
OP
I love doner kebab. As already said, some places really are bad quality, but if you find a good one, the meat is very good and not full of eyeholes, earholes and ********* as everyone seems to think. They actually use decent cuts of lamb.

They might be fatty, but you don’t get takeaway if you want to eat healthy do you? Plus you still get plenty of fresh salad to eat.

The German Doner is either Chicken or Beef no Lamb unless you buy the spring rolls.

Associate
OP
I didn't ask...
From personal experience, it just tastes... I dunno... cleaner. Good quality meat, not overly greasy, everything well packaged and not too heavy on one ingredient or another, good portions, all that stuff.
The one obvious difference is that, instead of a pita, it comes in a kind of waffle-bread thing, that soaks up the sauces and flavours without falling apart.

Well said sir.

Associate
OP
Decided to try GDK for the first time tonight, went for the original kebab with chicken for the choice of filling.

I thought it was really good! I’m not a big fan of the typical takeaway kebabs but this was certainly different, as others have said less greasy, more fresh vegetables and the bread was lovely.

Told yah! :p

I have not been to a Kebab shop but if I feel like one I'll have a German one.

Associate
OP
This one near my work. Pictures don't make it look very good IMO.
Promo photos look okay but real life photos look below average. Salad especially looks all brown like last week's salad. Not what I expected after reading this thread. People just buy into the marketing it seems.

German Doner Kebab
0161 676 3366
https://maps.app.goo.gl/YAXxg8PF1BxCaBEa8

Must be a rubbish franchise.

Associate
OP
Just got back from a trip to Green Lanes. The kebabs there **** all over any takeaway kebab place, including GDK.

Think you are comparing Apples with Pears my friend.

A Local Kabab shop experience is a totally different market than what the GDK are looking to move into.

Associate
OP
I was comparing kebabs, not fruit and veg ;)

And I know GDK are trying to be the McDonalds of kebabs but like McDonalds, the quality of their offering is pretty poor. You won't find many people suggesting McDonalds burgers are the best they've ever had though. We all know they're average at best but because of the price they're great value. I suspect most of the praise GDK are getting is because most peoples kebab experiences are limited to equally poor (if not worse) kebabs from your typical takeaway kebab house. Decent kebabs, particularly doner kebabs are few and far between in the UK but there's an abundance of them in north London and I suspect if anybody tried one of these, GDK would suddenly seem like a basic McDonalds burger but at the same price as a gourmet burger.

"was comparing kebabs, not fruit and veg ;)" Touché:cry: nice come back .

Fair comment I agree with you.

Associate
OP
Having tried quite a few in the Persian restaurants frequented by my Iranian and Turkish friends and their ethnic communities in London, I would say GDK is somewhere in the middle.
However, it's also important to note that it's a German doner kebab - It's not trying to be the same as those from other cultures, so it's not as useful a comparison. Might as well judge KFC by the periperi standards of Nandos.

And this is my point GDK is not trying to be like your local Kebab haunt they are doing their own thing. I have worked over in Germany a few times and ordered some kebab meat i.e. a selection and they lay a trough in front of you stacked with meat...Germans love their meat :eek:.

GDK is their own take on a Kabab without trying to be like a Kebab I mean even the bread is different. I like it and to be honest I cannot remember the last time that I actually brought a Kebab.

Associate
OP
Was in Stratford last week so decided to give them a try.

Had a basic mixed meat doner (no cabbage or tomato) with fries. It was nice, definitely less greasy than most kebab places, but if/when I go again I would probably ask for sauce on the side as the standard white sauce they put in the kebab was a bit much for me. I must admit though it was the best bread I have ever had with a kebab (excluding Sheesh Mahal in Nottingham that used to do them on the most amazing Naan breads).

I would have again but wouldn't make a trip just to get one

3l7PKae.jpg

Why did you have to post a picture for....you're making me hungry now...I always add cheese and the spicy sauce in mine.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom