Geronimo the alpaca killed as legal row ends

Soldato
The only reason it's taken four years though is because this entitled old fart was appealing every (correct) decision and throwing her toys out of the pram. Whichever way you look at it, the animal had a disease that has to be closely monitored for and dealt with appropriately. Regardless of whether it is livestock or a pet. Sure it's a hard take, but thems the rules. Doing "just one more test" would be pointless. If you doubt a test, you retest - that was done. Four years ago!

Then don't allow it to go through court

Soldato
The only reason it's taken four years though is because this entitled old fart was appealing every (correct) decision and throwing her toys out of the pram. Whichever way you look at it, the animal had a disease that has to be closely monitored for and dealt with appropriately. Regardless of whether it is livestock or a pet. Sure it's a hard take, but thems the rules. Doing "just one more test" would be pointless. If you doubt a test, you retest - that was done. Four years ago!
I believe it was more to do with the money invested in the business.

Soldato
What pees me off though is the way it’s destroyed.

It’s a pet, would it be too hard to get a vet to give it a lethal injection on the farm with its owner there to comfort it rather than drag it away looking terrified to what I can only assume would be an abbatoir.

You cant really take exception to that, every animal you eat will have suffered a similar fate.

Caporegime
So its ok for 'food' animals to suffer? The hypocrisy is strong here.

I have no idea, I'm just showing Rob what a hypocrite he is.
It’s not being a hypocrite to make a distinction between animals bred for food and animals kept as pets. Truth is farmers don’t give a second thought to how their animals are dispatched, but pet owners do. It’s not just for the animals benefit, it’s the owners too. She must have been heartbroken to see him literally dragged away like that. There was simply no need for it.

Man of Honour
OP
No matter your view, or who is to blame, the way it was handled was poor. Ultimately it isn't the fault of the animal, and it would have clearly been distressed by what went on.

Caporegime
Nice retort :rolleyes:

So why is it OK for food animals to suffer before death? 'Because pets' is not a valid answer either...
I’m not saying it’s ok, but it’s not known exactly how much they suffer, slaughter is supposed to be humane, and what other way is there of doing it?

If they could have a lethal injection, great, but you can’t do that for food animals.

But as I say, the alpaca was a pet. The owners feelings and well being should be taken into consideration too, and dragging him off like that showed absolutely zero care or compassion

Soldato
I’m not saying it’s ok, but it’s not known exactly how much they suffer, slaughter is supposed to be humane, and what other way is there of doing it?

If slaughter is humane and you 100% believe that then what is the issue?

The owners of this 'pet' made it so it had to be this way, they thought they could fight the systems in place to protect against bovine TB and lost. This whole charade at the end was 100% the owners fault.

Caporegime
If slaughter is humane and you 100% believe that then what is the issue?

The owners of this 'pet' made it so it had to be this way, they thought they could fight the systems in place to protect against bovine TB and lost. This whole charade at the end was 100% the owners fault.
Even if that is true, it doesn’t absolve DEFRA of the responsibility of doing this in a much more civilised and compassionate manner.

Back
Top Bottom