Get Out

Man of Honour
What did people think of this? I saw it not knowing much about it, which is how all films should be seen. Hard to give my thoughts without spoilers so here you go!

I'm still not sure what to make of it - it was enjoyable but not particularly re-watchable. Definite 'over-fawning' over the race issues in the press... but they were well done.

The main thing I have to say is that I don't think I can recall a more absurd shift in tone in any other movie. It goes from serious racial drama to silly good fun horror. The last few lines really made us all laugh at our loud in the cinema and people left with smiles. Not what I was expecting but it was refreshing to have fun after all the 'seriousness'. The change in tone is probably the best thing about the film and makes it a surprising, bemusing watch. If you have your serious hat on you might be dissapointed.

My rating - 7/10
Conpany's rating - 6.5/10

Man of Honour
OP
Would have been just as disturbing without the racial element IMO, clear case of using current climate to increase ratings/sales.
Do you think so? It was a legitimate plot device / interesting issue. Made the film somewhat unique. You almost make it sound like it was a bad thing or would have preferred the film without it. The film would be totally different without it, for sure.

Also as far as disturbing goes...
I thought it was completely undisturbing / b-movie esque once the mystery was unravelled

Soldato
I thought it was great.

Great twist with her at the end, honestly didn't expect that. I did think the friend from the TSA was damn annoying though. For all the talk of this being about race etc. why did they have such a clichéd token black character (by which I mean he was just playing the fool, which is what generally happens for characters like that in mainstream movies). I thought it was very clever at the end because you 100% expected him to get shot when the police car turns up. Pretty clever.

I also don't think the race thing was over-played. If you think about it, it's not about overt racism we see all the time, it's about the under-current racism that still exists amongst white liberal America, which can be just as problematic.

There's a lot of hidden secrets scattered throughout which are worth looking up.

Soldato
I also went to see it not knowing much about it, but I thoroughly enjoyed it, best film I've seen in ages. The acting and script I thought were brilliant, the film really puts you in the main characters shoes, all the while his best friend is telling him things that the viewer is thinking.

I'm not really one to watch films twice unless it's years down the line but having left the cinema after seeing this, I'm replaying certain scenes over in my head and thinking maybe the director was actually hinting at something else. For example; I think most people would have perceived the cop as being racist but thinking back was he the only non-racist white person in the film? What was the significance of the deer? Was it obvious that Rose was in on it all along before he discovers the photos, etc etc. Definitely not a scary film but the balance between eerie and funny I thought was spot on and just worked.

Soldato
Do you think so? It was a legitimate plot device / interesting issue. Made the film somewhat unique. You almost make it sound like it was a bad thing or would have preferred the film without it. The film would be totally different without it, for sure.

Don't get me wrong, the race element works however i'd have found it just as unsettling without it.

Man of Honour
OP
I also went to see it not knowing much about it, but I thoroughly enjoyed it, best film I've seen in ages. The acting and script I thought were brilliant, the film really puts you in the main characters shoes, all the while his best friend is telling him things that the viewer is thinking.

I'm not really one to watch films twice unless it's years down the line but having left the cinema after seeing this, I'm replaying certain scenes over in my head and thinking maybe the director was actually hinting at something else. For example; I think most people would have perceived the cop as being racist but thinking back was he the only non-racist white person in the film? What was the significance of the deer? Was it obvious that Rose was in on it all along before he discovers the photos, etc etc. Definitely not a scary film but the balance between eerie and funny I thought was spot on and just worked.
Yes - you definitely did feel 'in his shoes'. As for your spoiler tag comments:

I thought was she was in on it as soon as it became apparent the whole collective was 'watching' Chris, before the photos, but that was obviously the 'smoking gun' evidence!

I don't think the deer had any real significance and, having now had a quick google, I really don't think any of the 'Easter eggs' are 'clever'...... save that the reason for the exercising was because the grandad never beat Jessie Owens. That is neat, never thought of that. :)

Soldato
Saw this recently on a plane.

Agree with what others have said, the racial element (for me) was completely irrelevant to the plot of the film. It could have easily been achieved without it IMO.

I enjoyed it

Soldato
I really enjoyed the film but I think the main character went a little too crazy at the end. If I was in his shoes I'd be crazed but he went from calm and passive to sadistic psycho killer, while it's understandable it seemed a little out of character.

I thought the racial element worked in that they build it up as a group of racists hunting black people for sport which is obviously turns out not to be the case. The twist possibly could have worked in other contexts but it made sense with today's current climate.

Soldato
My favourite is between the Trump one and 'no more white girls for you'.
As much as I loved the movie I really disliked the Rod character. Very clichéd, over the top comedy character. I just think it was unnecessary and took me 'out' of the whole film.

Caporegime
Just watched this recently, missed it at the cinema and heard good things about it.

Good movie and had some good bits to it.

But for me the ending was a bit too rushed, I was kinda hoping the main character would have taken his time and tortured his tormentors etc.

Would I watch it again?? Probably not, it's not exactly a memorable movie.

7/10 for me.

Soldato
So, please do enlighten us. Google tells me this.

transracial
tranzˈreɪʃ(ə)l,trɑːnz-,-ns-/
adjective
  1. across or crossing racial boundaries.
Sounds like a rather unnecessary word given if you put the word 'community' after it, it could apply to basically anywhere in the world that has a mix of races.

Sounds like Rachel Dolezal was famously incorrectly using it, so I'm no more enlightened as to what it actually means..

Back
Top Bottom