Getting an LG C3 42" as main gaming monitor ? Good or bad choice ?

Associate
I need a new TV and am considering selling my current 180hz Predator XG34 ultrawide to fund a new LG C3 42". My question is... is there a big difference in terms of smoothness between 120hz and 144hz+ ?

I've only ever used 165hz+ monitors before for gaming so I'm wondering if I'm going to get a shock going back to 120hz refresh rate. I know it's still a huge improvement on 60 but still a little concerned it's not going to feel as butter smooth as my current 180hz monitor as well as my previous ones which were 165hz.

Any advice is welcome

Last edited:
Associate
I think its diffrerent depending on eye sight / experience etc. I can't say I notice the difference over 90hz but I am sure other people can. Saying that I still doubt it would be a big difference at all to be honest.

You are better just lowering the settings on your current monitor and seeing if you can notice the difference.

Soldato
Are you going to be using this on your desk as a monitor or on the TV stand in the living room. My brother has an LG 42" 120hz on his desk and he's happy with it. Personally I prefer a monitor on my desk as I don't need TV functions.

If I want to watch TV I just go into lounge and watch on my 55" Samsung QLED.

Associate
I went from a 34 inch ultrawide to C3 42 and I am very happy. You won't be able to play most games in 120fps at 4k of course, but what I most often do is play in different custom resolutions in ultrawide aspect ratio.
There is a hit in hz of course (my last screen was 175hz), so if you are one of those that notices a difference of 20 or 30hz (I am), there is going to be a 'getting used to it' period, but it is not a big deal imo.

Last edited:
Soldato
I need a new TV and am considering selling my current 180hz Predator XG34 ultrawide to fund a new LG C3 42". My question is... is there a big difference in terms of smoothness between 120hz and 144hz+ ?

I've only ever used 165hz+ monitors before for gaming so I'm wondering if I'm going to get a shock going back to 120hz refresh rate. I know it's still a huge improvement on 60 but still a little concerned it's not going to feel as butter smooth as my current 180hz monitor as well as my previous ones which were 165hz.

Any advice is welcome

I think there is a load of poop about refresh rates. I'm not exactly sure how the manufactures make LCD's sound a lot better than they are, but to me, a side-by-side comparison with an OLED and the OLED is always much smoother even at the same refresh rate.

Back
Top Bottom