Getting back into lifting after injury, starting strength plan.

Associate
I always forget about the sports arena section on the this forum. Has anyone on here used the starting strength program? If so what are the pro and cons you found with it?

I guess i need to give a little bit of back round, for a bit context to why i have chosen to use this program. I done something very similar when i was about 19 and first got into lifting properly, but then moved away from it and juts done what i wanted etc on and off. Now Fast forward to now and i am in my mid 30's. A year ago i suffered a back injury, a bulging disc between L5-S1, the doctor and physiotherapist both said i wouldn't lift again.
I believe them due to the amount of pain i was in and lack of mobility i had at the time. During this period i also lost some people very close to me, work issues, etc. Well i guess i can just say life issues and for me the gym was always a place to go and i work though them with lifting but i couldn't. All i could do was the stretch's and movement my physiotherapist gave. I found comfort in food and packed on the weight. This had a massive mental affect on me. During this period i slowly got better and recovered.
I decided to start doing more again, introduced swimming, hiking to start with. Then whilst out hiking on of the lads suggested i started lifting again, i said i couldn't and claimed BS :eek:. He convinced me and shared a lot of youtube videos by a few guys like Barbell medicine and then talked a lot about people like me and how the best thing was to back under the bar and lift. My friend then said i should look into the sticking to the basics, using the bible as he called it Starting Strength by Riptoe, found his channel on you tube and the book etc. From this i found some great youtube content that encouraged me.
Three months ago i starting going to the gym twice a week, slowly build it testing my body with certain lifts, cardio exercises trying to figure out what worked and what would cause issues for my back. The only one that my back doesn't like is Rowing for cardio what a massive pain as it was one of my favourites.
I started to starting strength program two months ago and all is well. In the gym three times a week, first thing in the morning. My strength is certainly coming back as well as my old body shape :D, i know i will hit the wall sooner than most with this program as it is a starter program and once my muscle memory kicking from previous lifting. But i don't care as i am enjoying lifting and life again. Anyway back to the question has anyone else used this program.

Back
Top Bottom