getting back into VR

Associate
I have the first HTC Vive but since decorating my lounge almost 2 years ago i have not bothered setting up my VR set up. However as my grandson is now into gaming i thought i would set it up again.

my question is what have i missed in the last 2 years in terms of must have games to buy, any new tips on supersampling and any must have new headsets that i should consider.

i have upgraded my pc to a RTX2080 from a gtx1080 and was rather happy with supersampling previously.

is SS still a thing or has the tech now moved on etc

any tips would be appreciated

i dont mind spending some money etc

is the index the best option at the moment

Soldato
You are returning at a perfect time. There are 3 very good headsets on the Market at the moment. 4 if you are purely a sit down sim only person.

So tell us the games that you enjoyed while you had it and what types of games do you intend to play? Are you going to be a sim only player, like Flight sims, racing car sims etc. Or are you going to play games that require you to move about as well? Like Boxing games or FPS games.

Associate
OP
not a massive fan of sit down type games so standing is where the fun is. tempted by the index but put off by the loss of the AMOLED screens that i had with my vive. I still have my vive so understand i can still use the base stations with the index.

Associate
not a massive fan of sit down type games so standing is where the fun is. tempted by the index but put off by the loss of the AMOLED screens that i had with my vive. I still have my vive so understand i can still use the base stations with the index.
Get a second-hand Vive Pro HMD and pair it with some Index controllers. It’s a nice (but not dramatic) increase in display density and you get to keep those OLED colours. Have no regrets going this route myself. It’s nice that SteamVR can mix and match stuff.

Soldato
same FOV though which is putting me off

All the headsets have pretty much the same FOV. The Index has a better Vertical FOV but Horizontal it's not much different than the other headsets.

If you are happy with the Vive, then ArmitageShanks's suggestion is a pretty good one. And the Lens mod is supposed to make it much better.

Have you tried any of the headsets using LCD screens?

Back
Top Bottom