Getting fit again...

Associate
Hi folks,

Bit of backround. I'm 6ft 1, nearly 30 and starting to develop a beer belly. I had 2 1/2 months off exercise as I was recovering from open shoulder surgery which ran into Christmas/New Year and the over indulgences that go with it. The majority of January and a little bit of February was spent ill and that brings me up to now. One of my mates commented that "I've put on some timber" and that has kind of shocked me into wanting to trim up a little bit.

Diet wise I'm going to cut out fizzy drinks, pudding after dinner, cutting right down on bread, replacing chocolate with fruit, cutting down on crisps and general crappy food. I drink loads of water anyway, so will replace the fizzies with this. I'm a one day a week binge drinker but I've not drank anywhere as near as much as I used to prior to my operation.

Exercise wise I'm not a gym guy but I do have a rowing machine and country estate grounds down the road to run around (hills and flat - used to do hill sprints). Started doing the small lap with work on a Friday which is roughly 2km. I can do it, but I'm struggling. I'm fully aware that the fitness will come back, but my god it's frustrating. Before my operation I was doing 8km in under 40 minutes which I was happy with as I've never been particualy quick.

I was thinking of doing something along the lines of combining running, rowing and kettlebells (small weight to begin with - 4kg - to build confidence back in my shoulder) over the week in different variations along with the cutting out of crap foods. Want to get playing football again - used to play 5 a side two, three times a week. How does that sound as a reset so to speak? I want to nip it in the bud before it starts to escalate. Anything else that would be good to do?

Caporegime
Sounds decent enough.

the main thing is to have something sustainable that you can keep doing week after week, month after month, year after year. Any kind of fad diet, massive calorie deficit, complex sport or gym arrangement, lack of goals makes things very tough. I was always trying to loose a little weight or getting into running for a few weeks/months and then would stop because I didn't really have a goal and eating extremely healthy every day is just boring. Then one day I had a goal to run a marathon and I soon lost a stack of weight, always look forward to exercising and will do abut 12 hours of cardio a week. I totally relax what I'm eating and get to enjoy big mountains of my favorite foods while being very lean and muscular. Exercising is not a chore, its an enjoyment. Not something I have to do to burn calories but something I look forward to.

Man of Honour
Do whatever you want - exercise wise - provided it is consistent and progressive (I.e.you stretch yourself)... Kettle bells are fine from a weights standpoint if you do the *right* exercises, too.

Regarding your diet, think very hard about your "1 day a week bender" because this probably will undo all of your hard work during the week. So either commit to this programme or don't, as you will only get disappointed. I am not saying "become a monk," but you need to do a bit more thinking about this. ;)

Also, don't just replace cheap carbs with slightly more expensive ones: get to love nuts and seeds with all that fruit as you will need protein and fat to help your body recover... Your body doesn't need carbs, anyway. ;)

Caporegime
Salad for lunch is really good. gets you lots of micro-nutrients and fiber in 1 sitting. You can also add nuts and seeds to the salad.

I eat a lot of fruit as I need to the carbs but I also will do things like have half an apple added to a bowl of yogurt.

Back
Top Bottom