Getting fit... Enough to box?

Soldato
So I recently signed up to ultra white collar boxing. After hitting my highest weight ever. 87.7KGS. I am 1.72m in height.

This is mostly fat and all caused from my lazy lifestyle and addiction to takeaways. A long battle with depression meant that staying in on the PC and eating was often my first choice of activity.

After 8 weeks of training. ( a few skipped sessions...) I won my fight. A massive mismatch in my favor as a much smaller lad called me out after a couple of sparring sessions and our coach agreed that we could fight on the show. Nevertheless I bust his ribs and then floored him resulting in him quitting after 1m 33 seconds.

This has been the kickstart I needed to get out and train. I no what I want now and it is to box. The last antidepressant I took was the day I first walked into that gym.

I will use this log so I can document my progress and hopefully receive some tips from the regulars here. Reading all these logs is great motivation.

What I will miss the most from the UWCB sessions is the team spirit that pushes you on. Now its all down to me.

I have signed up to a gym which opens on the 8th of next month. By then I want to have made some proper changes to my diet.

- Lewis

Tea Drinker
Don
Congratulations on stepping into the ring whatever the outcome. It takes real guts and balls to do it. Well done you.

I'm looking to fight uwcb in December. By then I'd have been training for a year and still I don't know if I could hold it together for three two minute rounds.

You can box uwcb twice I think ?

Soldato
OP
Congratulations on stepping into the ring whatever the outcome. It takes real guts and balls to do it. Well done you.

I'm looking to fight uwcb in December. By then I'd have been training for a year and still I don't know if I could hold it together for three two minute rounds.

You can box uwcb twice I think ?

As far as I know there is no limit. It will be such an amazing experience and I cant recommend it enough!

Watch the youtube vids of any of the fights. I woudl say 75% or more are blowing by the 3rd round, its normal :)

A work colleague took me to his gym today and introduced me to "leg day". Going to be feeling this for a while.

Tea Drinker
Don
As far as I know there is no limit. It will be such an amazing experience and I cant recommend it enough!

Watch the youtube vids of any of the fights. I woudl say 75% or more are blowing by the 3rd round, its normal :)

A work colleague took me to his gym today and introduced me to "leg day". Going to be feeling this for a while.

Went to watch my mate fight and probably 2 of the 20 fights went the three rounds all the rest ended up hugging or hands on their knees blowing out their rear ends :D

I asked a mate to describe being in the ring and the amount of energy required and he said it was like cycling up a steep hill with flat tyres with a 20 st man on your back and two rottweilers chasing you.

Soldato
OP
Starts log, does leg day. Strong start brohirrim

This was after football training yesterday too... Hottest day of the year or something...

Went to watch my mate fight and probably 2 of the 20 fights went the three rounds all the rest ended up hugging or hands on their knees blowing out their rear ends :D

I asked a mate to describe being in the ring and the amount of energy required and he said it was like cycling up a steep hill with flat tyres with a 20 st man on your back and two rottweilers chasing you.

Thats about right. Boxing fitness is like nothing I've ever done!

The next few weeks I am just hoping to be quite casual about this. Learning routines and form and also reading everyone elses logs to try and learn.

Luckily I have several family members and work colleagues who are more than happy to give me some free attention in the gym, so far so good.

On the diet front. I just had takeaway. This is my weakness.

Soldato
OP
This weeks Log. I have been to the gym every day of the week focusing on a different set of muscles each day. Not because I know what I am doing, but I am joining in the workouts of my friends who do this properly.

Monday - Shoulders
Tuesday - Chest and triceps
Wednesday - Back and Biceps
Thursday - shoulders
Friday - Cardio - 45min / 5km on treadmill. Sweated buckets!
Saturday - about 10 rounds of sparring. 2 of them full on vs someone 30KG heavier. I got knocked out! :)

I need to learn the names of the exercise/machines that we are using so I can begin to track the weight/sets/reps to track progress. But for now I am just enjoying getting stuck in and feeling the burn.

On a diet front. I did fairly well. Extremely limited fatty snacks and my dinners were better than my usual crap. I have limited myself to 1 takeaway a week. (down from at least 3...) And it tasted like crap and 75% got thrown out.

Soldato
OP
Just a quick update so I can keep track.

current weight is 13stone 1lb. From 13,8.

3-4 Nights of gym a week. Mixed Cardio and weight sessions. I will admit I really enjoy the weights so thats happening more than cardio really... tut tut.

Also boxing training on saturdays. High intensity drills and sparring.

Progress is coming.

Soldato
OP
Overdue update:

Weight 12stone 12lb

New gym buddy which is great as I was getting a bit lazy hitting the gym solo and went nearly 2 weeks without going at one point.

Back on track now. Seeing some great gains on my arms too. Not really seeing anything off the gut yet but people are noticing it in my face.

Soldato
OP
Been a while since I updated this. But since I had my boxing match last night I will update it.

I dropped down to around 77KG. But my fight had been agreed at 83KG. I let my diet and training go to **** to put the weight back on and I struggled to do the 3 rounds. And lost on points.

Going to have a rest for a bit and then get back in the gym and get fitter. If I do fight again I will pick a more suitable weight that I am comfortable with.

Back
Top Bottom