Getting good deal

Man of Honour
I’m considering a new Africa Twin Adventure Sports and am negotiating with the dealer. I’m in no massive rush to buy so I want to push for the best deal possible. It has been a while since I’ve bought from a dealer so I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what the benchmark is?

The offer on the table is for full price, £12995, throwing in a centre stand (£150) and lower seat (£130). I’ve made it clear I need a bit more convincing so waiting to see what he comes back with. The panniers, about £600, interest me but would it be reasonable to expect those to also be thrown in? If it’s likely I will push for it but if not, I’ll pish for something else instead.

I know that no two deals are the same but getting an idea of what the average deal struck is would help! Thanks.

Man of Honour
Will they also sort it in 12 months time when it's turned into a pile of rust? The state of some of these after a few months is ridiculous.

Man of Honour
OP
Will they also sort it in 12 months time when it's turned into a pile of rust? The state of some of these after a few months is ridiculous.
I haven’t seen any reports of that. I know the wheel spokes on the standard bike are an issue (not SS) but this version has SS spokes.

Soldato
Yea I wouldn't buy an Africa Twin either.

Only thing with the triumph, is it sounds like an electric milk float. But I am sure you can get a decent exhaust to sort that :)

Edit: also your heart set on an adventure cruiser? I know they are flavour of the month at the moment (well last couple of years maybe) but I really don't get it.

From what ive seen/read: they are basically crap off road, a little bit better than a road bike, but basically still crap. Then for road use, they are just a little bit ******* than a dedicated road bike.

So unless you specifically think you are going to use it for some light off road use, I really don't see the benefit of it.

What are you intending to use it for?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
I’ve always had a thing for adventure bikes and have owned a few in my time. Just sold a Super Tenere and am about to sell my old DR800. I know they’re not everyone’s cup of tea and they make compromises compared to pure road bikes but they’re my preferred choice. I’ve had my heart set on an Africa Twin for a long time and a recent test drive really hit home how much it suits me. The stats don’t set the world on fire but it clearly has a different philosophy than the likes of a KTM.

I mainly use the bike for commuting and the high upright position suits this well. Igave up off roading a while ago so I’m definitely becoming one of those “Ewan and Charlie” riders with a big adventure bike that never gets dirty. :D I promise that I will never wear a “POLITE notice” vest though.

I drove a Triumph Tiger 800 and whilst it was a good bike it didn’t do it for me. I did look at the Yamaha Tracer which I thought was a fantastic bike but the Honda has my affections!

Like I said earlier though, I’m not in a major rush and would consider running a different bike (used) for a year before going for a good used Africa Twin. I considered a KTM 990 Adventure but I used to own a 990 SMR and the fuelling was crap. Open to other ideas...

Soldato
haha yeah, I see those guys wearing the POLITE vests, I guess trying to pretend they are coppers or something?

I just think they are dickheads.

Thing is with the Honda, they are borderline on being borring, but, super well made (potential rust issues aside, and especially now its been highlighted its 100% avoidable if looked after) but otherwise Hondas are like bullet proof, good brakes, good realiable engines, last longer than you ever will if you look after them, and hold their value.

So... can you go wrong buying a Honda, no.

You seem to have had a few bikes also so I am not going to lecture you anymore I am not qualified lol.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I got £500 of accessories, first service and 15% off any gear bought with a purchase.... on a new SV650.

On a bike double the cost I’d expect at least £1000+ in discount and/or deals.

What about a PCP? They may discount more if you sign up to finance... ride out and ring the finance company to pay the balance within 14 days, pocketing the discount ;)

Soldato
Both the Africa Twin and the Triumph Explorer 1200 weigh pretty much a quarter of a ton before you stick a rider, tank bag or panniers on. That was enough to put me off. The Africa Twin dash also seems bizarrely old fashioned. I reckon it is a lovely comfortable ride for a commute though.

Man of Honour
OP
I got £500 of accessories, first service and 15% off any gear bought with a purchase.... on a new SV650.

On a bike double the cost I’d expect at least £1000+ in discount and/or deals.

What about a PCP? They may discount more if you sign up to finance... ride out and ring the finance company to pay the balance within 14 days, pocketing the discount ;)
The PCP angle is a good shout. My local dealer offers 6.9% APR and won’t budge on it. Over a 3 year deal that equates to about £1800 in interest. There’s a Honda dealer in Cambridge offering 0%. If I play that angle maybe I could angle for £1800 worth of accessories from the local dealer, buy it on the PCP, and then pay it off. Probably pushing it a bit but worth a shout. Thanks.

Both the Africa Twin and the Triumph Explorer 1200 weigh pretty much a quarter of a ton before you stick a rider, tank bag or panniers on. That was enough to put me off. The Africa Twin dash also seems bizarrely old fashioned. I reckon it is a lovely comfortable ride for a commute though.
Horses for courses. I’ve done the fast bike thing and came to realise after my KTM 990 SMR that I was over it. Tall riding position, big tank, big screen, and a smooth tractable engine are what get me going now. I thought that would come when I was 50, certainly not this early, but there’s always time for a mid-life crisis Panigale or something in a few years :D

Man of Honour
OP
What would you suggest? I also considered the new V Strom but I couldn’t get on with the motor. The Yamaha Tracer 900 is the only other alternative I really considered taking the leap on. Also considered the Honda VFR800X which had a great motor but it didn’t really excite me overall. Even looked at a Moto Guzzi Stelvio but the lack of decent backup in the form of parts and service doesn’t suit me.

I suppose I could look at a R1200 GS but I just can’t see myself on one:rolleyes:

Associate
I suppose I could look at a R1200 GS but I just can’t see myself on one:rolleyes:

For 30years I said the same thing, "you will never get me on a BMW its for old men before they give up"

Until I bought a GS Adventure now there is no hope in hell of me ever getting anything else.

I can keep up with most things in the twisties, has all the luggage capacity the wife and I will ever need and does touring perfectly along with off road capability regardless of what some say but have never tried one on or off road :)

Man of Honour
For 30years I said the same thing, "you will never get me on a BMW its for old men before they give up"

Until I bought a GS Adventure now there is no hope in hell of me ever getting anything else.

I can keep up with most things in the twisties, has all the luggage capacity the wife and I will ever need and does touring perfectly along with off road capability regardless of what some say but have never tried one on or off road :)

Weight is king off-road, unless you mean just pottering about a field :p

Associate
Try having a look at them off road here then tell them that they are no good off road :)

I have used mine on occasional green lanes in Cornwall not exactly what I would call pottering around a field..

But as most of them are not bought for using off road its a bit silly for everyone to keep slating them for off road use :)

I bought mine for touring and it does that perfectly for me and the wife.

Man of Honour
OP
Plot twist...just put a deposit on an ex-police BMW R1200RT :D

I gave the new bike idea a lot of thought and just couldn’t bring myself to lay out that much cash on one bike. I figured I could have two used bikes instead, one for the commute and longer journeys (Beemer), and something a bit more fun (yet to be decided).

Back
Top Bottom