Getting Irish nationality for children?

Caporegime
Aus and British I assume?

Yep.

I never realised Germany didn't allow dual, that's a shame. I wouldn't hesitate to dump the British one.

I need the British one because we're planning to return to the UK when my in-laws start needing support. And I would still need to drop my Australian citizenship to gain German.

It's a real kick in the teeth.

Associate
They think that because it doesn't directly effect them. Until the government increase taxes or they have their P45 coming through the letterbox due to job cuts.

They are the same type of pub bore who will complain incessantly about things like the state of the NHS, whilst vehemently opposing the tax increases that would be needed to halt its inevitable decline.

The demographic who voted for BREXIT should have their triple-locked pensions "unlocked" to fund any negative cost impact of BREXIT. I don't see any reason why these people should be protected any longer.

Associate
Nice! Cant get no better than living a Euro zone, when earning CHF.

I might have to look into that one day:D

Ha! I'm seconded from Switzerland to France, so don't quite get your typical Swiss salary for my field, but it's certainly not a bad gig.

As a "Frontier Worker" I pay French tax (taxed per total household and tax-free allowances based on number of people in the household), which works out at about 9.2% for a family of 4 against almost nothing when you add up the tax-free allowances. I can also pay a lower rate of French social security around 9%, which is normally closer to ~25% for an employee of a French company. However, I get Swiss state benefits, which are very good. In particular, the child benefit is amazing - 300CHF (240 quid) tax-free per child, per month.

Granted, it is a bit complicated to sort, lots of hoops to jump through. Brexiters would hate it as there is a lot of paperwork (all in a different language) and it's ever so slightly inconvenient and European.

To be honest, apart from the paperwork and bureaucracy, much of the Eurozone leaves the UK in the dust for the quality of life and social care.

Just as an example, I went to the doctors with a medical problem the week before Christmas. I booked the appointment online for 8:15am the next day. I had a consultation with my family GP (same guy every time) and paid 25 euro on his card machine, I had 80% immediately reimbursed by the French state to my account and had the other 20% reimbursed by our family health insurance (150 euro per month). The doc gave me a prescription for a blood test and an ultrasound. The next morning I took the prescription to the local laboratory for the blood test at 7am. I was out by 7:20am and at work early. By 16:00 the same day I had an email with the results.

The same thing the next day at the radiographer.

As part of her remuneration, my wife receives lunch tickets of 9.20 euro per day (most companies provide this) which can be spent in local restaurants or at the supermarket. This is why there are so many good, cheap, privately-owned restaurants in France. It is in fact illegal to eat your lunch at your desk in France.

I live in a small town of ~3500 people, there are 4 brand new tennis courts, 2 full-sized astroturf pitches, a full-sized basketball gymnasium with rope climbing and gym kit, a climbing wall, a dance studio, 2 fully kitted out martial arts dojos, a full-time library, 3 playparks and miles of mountain bike trails on the doorstep.

The roads are good and the trains are cheap.

TBH the UK can keep its **** roads, rubbish NHS and terrible state pension. The UK is nowhere near as good as it thinks it is and will not miraculously get any better because of BREXIT.

EDIT: It's also sunny ~300 days per year

Soldato
Ha! I'm seconded from Switzerland to France, so don't quite get your typical Swiss salary for my field, but it's certainly not a bad gig.

As a "Frontier Worker" I pay French tax (taxed per total household and tax-free allowances based on number of people in the household), which works out at about 9.2% for a family of 4 against almost nothing when you add up the tax-free allowances. I can also pay a lower rate of French social security around 9%, which is normally closer to ~25% for an employee of a French company. However, I get Swiss state benefits, which are very good. In particular, the child benefit is amazing - 300CHF (240 quid) tax-free per child, per month.

Granted, it is a bit complicated to sort, lots of hoops to jump through. Brexiters would hate it as there is a lot of paperwork (all in a different language) and it's ever so slightly inconvenient and European.

To be honest, apart from the paperwork and bureaucracy, much of the Eurozone leaves the UK in the dust for the quality of life and social care.

Just as an example, I went to the doctors with a medical problem the week before Christmas. I booked the appointment online for 8:15am the next day. I had a consultation with my family GP (same guy every time) and paid 25 euro on his card machine, I had 80% immediately reimbursed by the French state to my account and had the other 20% reimbursed by our family health insurance (150 euro per month). The doc gave me a prescription for a blood test and an ultrasound. The next morning I took the prescription to the local laboratory for the blood test at 7am. I was out by 7:20am and at work early. By 16:00 the same day I had an email with the results.

The same thing the next day at the radiographer.

As part of her remuneration, my wife receives lunch tickets of 9.20 euro per day (most companies provide this) which can be spent in local restaurants or at the supermarket. This is why there are so many good, cheap, privately-owned restaurants in France. It is in fact illegal to eat your lunch at your desk in France.

I live in a small town of ~3500 people, there are 4 brand new tennis courts, 2 full-sized astroturf pitches, a full-sized basketball gymnasium with rope climbing and gym kit, a climbing wall, a dance studio, 2 fully kitted out martial arts dojos, a full-time library, 3 playparks and miles of mountain bike trails on the doorstep.

The roads are good and the trains are cheap.

TBH the UK can keep its **** roads, rubbish NHS and terrible state pension. The UK is nowhere near as good as it thinks it is and will not miraculously get any better because of BREXIT.

EDIT: It's also sunny ~300 days per year

:D That's why I moved here to Switzerland last summer.

People in the UK complain about the NHS but its the same people who would never pay for private healthcare like we have to here, which is way more better service.

Back
Top Bottom