Getting 'sued' by Getty images...

as far as i was aware this is what they did, but still this has the big problem that the image can still be downloaded from somewhere else. say i steal the image from getty, then upload it to a free to download image site, another user then visits the free site and uses the image. you can't expect a user to go searching on all image websites to make sure it's not been stolen.

Perhaps, but then the billed should then get in contact with the site they got it from (especially if it was another stock site) who would probably try and pass it on to the one that uploaded it.

Either was unless you can prove you downloaded that image from another source (Iin which case that other source should then be billed) you haven't a leg to stand on IMO.

got a proper lol out of me.

Likewise. :D

To mim - As previous replies in this thread have already said - ignore it. However, take the image concerned down from where it resides. That won't make any difference to anyones ability to see said image was previously on your website ( they can simply use Wayback to see old archived versions of sites ) but it will show you have complied with any "cease and desist" requests.

This cropped up with me a good few years back and after a long period of research into it all it transpires that Getty simply punt these letters out in the hope that some folk pay up. Many don't. The thing is, Getty will "sell" your copyright infringement "debt" to a collection agency and they will attempt to recover the money from you. Their concern and business interests lie with getting the people who are frightened by the initial demand to pay up. Ignore the letter and they won't give two hoots because it's likely that the next person or the person after them will pay up.

In addition, or at least at the time this happened to me, upon looking at it all from a legal enforcement point of view, Getty - a US company had passed on their "debt" collection to an agency based in Southern Ireland who then instructed another party based in England to attempt to recover the "fee" from me, based in Scotland. So 3 different legal systems working away there, all at odds with each other in varying degrees.

So in short, take the offending image down, ignore the threatening letters and don't be concerned with it.

One positive thing came out from it all from me, it was a lesson learned in my early days of web design. I mistakenly and foolishly used a copyrighted image. I wasn't aware it was copyrighted at the time. However since then I'm very, very careful about what images I use on sites. :cool:

£1000 how much was it to buy in the first place.

Oh thats all they can sue you for.

They have tried and failed to sue for their costs in finding the image but those costs would have been incurred whether they found anything or not.

I wonder if anyone has actually bought the image after the fact.

Back
Top Bottom