Gibbo! Get this in, yo! MCW60-T

Permabanned
pelts are carp really for extra performance. I got about an extra 200 3dmark05 points by putting a pelt on my x800 pro, but got another 800 by vmodding it. Altho saying that they are fun so id probably buy one :p

Soldato
OP
Mr Mister said:
pelts are carp really for extra performance. I got about an extra 200 3dmark05 points by putting a pelt on my x800 pro, but got another 800 by vmodding it. Altho saying that they are fun so id probably buy one :p
Yeah, the idea is you Vmod it and then pelt it to deal with the extra heat. ;)

Caporegime
Pelts strike me as being not work the effort, not only should they really be run off a seperate PSU, they dump massive amounts of heat into your water loop (along with the already hot GPUs) and you have to go to all the trouble of condensation proofing.

Vmod + watercooling will give you pretty similar results with less hassle.

Permabanned
@ monkeypants - Yes thats a fair point but standard water cooling deals fine with the extra heat. Pelt makes it slightly colder but if your pelt isnt powerful enough it was just has the opposite effect.

@ minstadave - Its not necessary to run the pelt off a separate psu if you have a decent system psu. I ran a 172w pelt of my 600w enermax without any problems. Although it does mean running at 12v so approx 120W pelt. Condensation proofing is a load of hassle with pelts. They do pump quite a lot of heat into a water loop but not as much as people make out. I ran an opteron 144 at 2.9ghz in the same loop as my 172w pelt and with the pelt turned on cpu temp increased by 5C - but this did not reduce my stable overclock.

@ Cyber-mav - The kind of sub ambient temps you get from a pelt make little difference to max overclocks so minstadave has got a point that standard water is a lot less hassle for similar results.

Caporegime
Cyber-Mav said:
so your saying watercooling on its own will give you sub ambient temperatures? :rolleyes:

Ofcourse I know you're not going to get subambient temps without a pelt, its just the pay off isn't worth the hassle.

Mr Mister said:
@ Cyber-mav - The kind of sub ambient temps you get from a pelt make little difference to max overclocks so minstadave has got a point that standard water is a lot less hassle for similar results.

This is what I meant, you can get excellent results with a nice Vmod and decent watercooling, the extra effort of a pelt setup just doesn't seem worth it.

If you're watercooling your CPU too, thats a lot of extra heat to have in your loop. I can understand it if you've got phase on CPU and are seperately cooling the GFX with pelt+water, but even then its still a pain.

Mr Mister said:
@ minstadave - Its not necessary to run the pelt off a separate psu if you have a decent system psu. I ran a 172w pelt of my 600w enermax without any problems. Although it does mean running at 12v so approx 120W pelt. Condensation proofing is a load of hassle with pelts. They do pump quite a lot of heat into a water loop but not as much as people make out. I ran an opteron 144 at 2.9ghz in the same loop as my 172w pelt and with the pelt turned on cpu temp increased by 5C - but this did not reduce my stable overclock.

I'm quite surprised how little that raised temps to be honest, thanks for the info :) I know you can run them off your standard PSU, but with enough power hungry components you're starting to need pretty beefy PSUs before you start messing around with pelts. The cost involved must be pretty high too.

Last edited:
Soldato
The pelt I had on my CPU almost boiled the water in my loop :eek:

You need to be sure you have VERY good cooling on the hot side of these little beggers, if you don't then the cold side heats up very, very quickly and you get one fried GPU :(

Associate
Cyanide said:
The pelt I had on my CPU almost boiled the water in my loop :eek:

You need to be sure you have VERY good cooling on the hot side of these little beggers, if you don't then the cold side heats up very, very quickly and you get one fried GPU :(

188w you say? Naahh, not a problem at all :D

Soldato
tecs are soooooooooooooooooooooo old.

and any decent voltmodd and oc would over power it.

its not worth the hassle, you have to have large amounts of disapation power, a tec psu, insulation, very powerful/reliable pump & that means it isnt quiet either.

Your better of with phase or a chiller.

Soldato
sablabra said:
188w you say? Naahh, not a problem at all :D

Mine was a 110w and it increased my GPU temps by 20oC when I had it on my CPU... and under load it went from 4oC up to 50oC in a couple of seconds before I closed Prime95 pretty sharpish...

Back
Top Bottom