Gigabite Bundle Advice

Associate
Hello all.

I've been a customer of OCUK for a long time now. I'm an European customer outside of the UK so i was always fearful of what is happening now.

I bought a OcUK bundle :

1 X Intel Core i7 920 D0 Stepping (SLBEJ) 2.66Ghz overclocked 4.00GHz!
1 X Gigabyte EX58-UD5 Intel X58 (Socket 1366) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard
1 X Corsair XMS3 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 (1600MHz) Tri-Channel
1 X Corsair H50 High-Performance CPU Watercooler

Problem is, my system is acting very freakish every time i start it up. The Board turns on, but after 1-3 seconds it just powers itself down again, only to enter a loop again of turning on/off every 1-3 seconds. The gigabyte returns the code "88" wich is not even on the troubleshooting manual.

Tried everything as this guy did with a similar problem:
http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ga-ex58-ud5-wont-post-infinite-loop-code-88-a-28897/

Before i return the board to OcUK (as i am bound for expenses in shipping costs), i did of course numerous testing to sort out the problem:

- Experimented with only 1 stick of RAM in the 1st slot
- Experimented clear CMOS a lot of times (jumper and back button)
- Triple checked the ATX conections on the board (both back CPU and Main)
- Removed the board from the case into a wood desk/protective foam to avoid possible contacts with the case metal

My main "suspicious" is either the board being faulty (wich is strange since OcUK tested it before sending as its an OC bundle), or the PSU (OCZ Gamextrem 850W) even though the PSU works flawlessly with my other C2D setup.

Any advice of something i can do before starting an RMA process and spend around € 20 in shipping costs? Thank you all.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi , just a thought but have you checked the timmings in the bios(some mem will not run off the m/b default timmings) hope this helps

Associate
OP
Hi , just a thought but have you checked the timmings in the bios(some mem will not run off the m/b default timmings) hope this helps

I cant even get into the BIOS m8, my system shutdowns and gets into a repeat loop in 3 seconds after i turn it on.

Associate
OP
Post in the customer support forum and they will get back you, it has been requested that we dont help with OCUK bundles as its harder for the store to support you. :D

WIll do, thanks.

I did investigate the internet about that gigabyte board and it seems there's a lottttt of problems regarding boot with it...

Associate
Which slots do you have the RAM in? I had this problem with the GB X58 Extreme version until I read the manual :)rolleyes:). RAM needed to be in the white slots not the blue ones

Associate
OP
Which slots do you have the RAM in? I had this problem with the GB X58 Extreme version until I read the manual :)rolleyes:). RAM needed to be in the white slots not the blue ones

For the process of elimination, i realy tried in all slots, one at the time with each of the 3 diferent dimms one at the time in order to isolate the problem, starting on the white ones, then blue ones. I realy kinda desperately tried it all ;) already knew that on this boards (like in the asus p6t) you should only use that other channel if you fill all the memory slots (gigabyte first white slots, asus first red slots).

Thanks for the tip though, i apreciate the help.

Back
Top Bottom