Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - red vga, no display

Associate
New and first build. Board vga status light stays on, nothing on monitor.

Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming 3
AMD Ryzen 7 Eight Core
Kingston HyperX Predator 2x8GB
Sapphire R9 280
Superflower 850w PSU

Any ideas? I'm puzzled, as I've tried two other GPUs with same result.

Associate
OP
Would be happy with any solution, but it's a Ryzen 7 1700, which I assume is okay?

Lights on the GPU are on, fans spinning. Board passes CPU and Dram checks ok. System fans working.

Reduced to 1 stick of ram, in different slots.
Tried the GPUs in the other PCIe slot.
No HD/SSDs connected.
Checked monitor and cables.
Checked all connections.

Soldato
Stupid question, you've plugged the monitor into the card, not the motherboard backplate, yes? (Everyone's done it wrong at least once in their life xD)

Extra power cables plugged into the GPU?

Associate
OP
Yep, and yes [I admit to plugging the monitor into the motherboard, but only out of desperation!]

Did think at first I'd need to update the BIOS for the GPU, but having tried two much older GPUs (one which draws power only from the board) and CMOSing it each time, I'm at a loss.

Assembling the bare minimum out of the case is about all I can think to try. Perhaps it really is a case/seating issue.

Soldato
Glad it worked for you bud :)

Any chance you forgot the spacers and shorted the board? I did that once and didn't spot it until I'd taken the whole thing out to reassemble from scratch xD

Soldato
Yeah, good to hear it's working.

I had a problem like that about 15 years ago. Turned out I'd screwed in one too many risers on the motherboard tray. Took me forever to figure out what was wrong. :)

Back
Top Bottom