Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming K5 - Crashing under GFX Load

Associate
I had previously believed the issue i'll describe now was limited to World of Warcraft however now turns out to be more widespread.

I have built the following system as a little stop gap using a previous GTX680, everything else is new.
  • Gigabyte GA-Z270X - Gaming 5
  • Corsair 8GB DDR4 @ 2400MHz
  • G4560 3.50GHz
  • GTX680
  • EVGA 650w Gold PSU
After a fresh install of Windows 10 and on attempting to play WoW the PC would after a few mins of loading the game crash. Its a hard crashes that requires a reboot. No recovery.

In order to isolate the problem I have undertaken the following steps and so far none have resolved the issue.

• Replaced the GTX680 with an HD7970 (full clean install of Windows at same time)
  • Replaced the PSU with a 900w unit
  • Updated the BIOS to F4
  • Run Memtest with no errors reported
  • Ensured I'm running the latest Intel Chipset Drivers
  • Ensured I'm using the latest Nvidia Drivers
  • Tried installation of Windows to a different Drive

So right now after yet another full install of Windows I have a pretty stripped back installation, all other hard drives out with only one SSD running Windows. No other programs installed other than the following bench marks.

• Prime95 - Runs with no problems and during runs the CPU does not exceed 45oC
  • Heaven Benchmark - Crashes after a few seconds. GPU temp at time of crash 50oC
  • 3dMark - Cloudflare - Completes the demo and benchmarks
  • 3dMark - Skydiver - Completes the demo but crashes a few seconds into the 1st benchmark
  • 3dMark - Timespy - Crashes

So now I am suspecting that the motherboard is faulty. Before I begin the RMA process can anyone suggest anything to try.

Associate
OP
Tried running without GPU and using onboard graphics ? One isolation test i saw you didn't perform and run all the same tests

Yes forgot to add that - I removed the GPU and ran with the Intel IGPU and while WoW didnt crash it was unplayable at under 5fps.

Did not run any of the other benches though.

Will also add that WoW is running completely untouched with no addons at all.

Soldato
Try another GPU you know is working. If it crashes then pointing to PSU.
Try another PSU with your GTX680, if it doesn't crash then it's your EVGA 650w Gold PSU.#

Try underspeccing the memory, if it's CL9 RAM, set it to CL10 2200MHz

Associate
OP
Try another GPU you know is working. If it crashes then pointing to PSU.
Try another PSU with your GTX680, if it doesn't crash then it's your EVGA 650w Gold PSU.#

Try underspeccing the memory, if it's CL9 RAM, set it to CL10 2200MHz

I know the GPUs are both working as have tried them in my sons machine. I get the crash no matter which GPU is in

I have tried another PSU - a 900w PSU that I know is working

Soldato
Yes forgot to add that - I removed the GPU and ran with the Intel IGPU and while WoW didnt crash it was unplayable at under 5fps.

Did not run any of the other benches though.

Will also add that WoW is running completely untouched with no addons at all.

worth trying other benches, yes you'll get super low frames but just checking it makes it through without the hard crashing your getting . Least then you've ruled out CPU, its socket and its power delivery . As stated with ram, would be running it at Intel default of 2133 for the purpose of trouble shooting.

also, tried GPU in second PCIe 16x slot?

again just trying to rule out any connection issues

if you do have to RMA, post up progress and end report :)

Soldato
I'll give all these suggestions a run this evening and report back

last ditch attempt after all that.

"might sound silly but they might want to check the CPU pins on the board too. Sometimes if they are not making full contact (one is slightly bent for example) it can cuase issues just like that." was advised to send you that :)

Associate
OP
Ok so back home and doing some of the stuff suggested above will add as I go along.

• Tried another Heaven Bench Mark and this time ran for a few minutes before crashing. Temp reported as 50oC however crashed with a hard lock just before the end.
  • Event Viewer shows under critical errors : Event ID 41 Kernel-Power
  • Ran XTU Stress Test on CPU - Max Temp 42oC
  • Mem Set to BIOS Default 2133
  • So card in next slot was a disaster. Cant even get loading into windows without it freezing and crashing out. On a second attempt again uninstalling and installing drivers it caused issues at the bios loading screen and again froze on loading the desktop.
  • Removed the 680 and have run all benchmarks with the IGPU and while scores are pretty kak all complete
  • Popped the 680 into my sons i5 7600k and its running benches without a hiccup

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok so back home and doing some of the stuff suggested above will add as I go along.

• Tried another Heaven Bench Mark and this time ran for a few minutes before crashing. Temp reported as 50oC however crashed with a hard lock just before the end.
  • Event Viewer shows under critical errors : Event ID 41 Kernel-Power
  • Ran XTU Stress Test on CPU - Max Temp 42oC
  • Mem Set to BIOS Default 2133
  • So card in next slot was a disaster. Cant even get loading into windows without it freezing and crashing out. On a second attempt again uninstalling and installing drivers it caused issues at the bios loading screen and again froze on loading the desktop.
  • Removed the 680 and have run all benchmarks with the IGPU and while scores are pretty kak all complete
  • Popped the 680 into my sons i5 7600k and its running benches without a hiccup

damn, sorry to hear that. Have you tried reseating CPU? bit of a pain but uneven pin contact can cause issues, seems 85% of RMAs is this issue

and im guessing it the PCIe should be default Gen. 3.0 but worth a check to see if it's somehow on Gen 2.0- only reason why i can think of Windows not paying ball on 2nd slot.

Board from OCUK ? should have a speedy RMA turn around :) most likely recommend get that going and try a CPU resit as well as you have to that the board out so might as well spend an extra few mins doing it. if it works you can cancel, if it doesn't, board would be sent off next day :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom