Gigabyte Aorus Z490 Xtreme bios bug?

V F

V F

Soldato
Anyone know of an issue of this? This is the second time this has happened, two months ago. Using the computer one night, all is fine, then I shutdown the system for the night. Then boot the system up the next day, fans at full pelt then it shuts down after 3 - 5 seconds and will no longer power up. Completely dead, no leds on the buttons. Dead, not even a flicker of power.

Clear CMOS on the back isn't resetting the BIOS. When I'm pushing the power button the clear cmos and qflash flashes until I let go of the button. When you press the clear cmos button with the power button pressed the system fires up and gets power but nothing on DrDebug. Soon as you let go of the clear cmos, power dies. The last time I had to rectify this was to dismantle the whole watercooling system, take off the motherboard armour covers and pull the cmos battery out for it to power back up. This is what I'm fearing. No idea what or why is causing this. It's looking like I'm going to have to tear the system down again, unless anybody else knows another way?

Reset buttons on the motherboard wont reset the cmos, not even clear cmos. I'm honestly stumped by this issue except pulling the system apart. Cmos battery is behind the PCI slot covers, behind/below first PCI-e slot.

System is on the latest BIOS. F21.

V F

V F

Soldato
OP
Well this is an interesting find after tearing part of the loop apart. It wouldn't clear yet again unless popping the battery out. The Clear CMOS function on the back was dead until the battery was removed. Now to put the loop back together, then bleed it and back into action.
As Buildzoid says, it needs a safe boot button.

Such a stupid design. Let alone where they hid the battery. Should have been behind the first M2 drive slot cover. No, lets shove it behind the M2 covers below that's right behind the GPU slot. Great design Gigabyte. Switching the jumpers simply wouldn't work either until the battery was out. Everything about the board seemed to stop functioning until the battery was removed. Then you could now boot from Main or Backup BIOS. It was completely locked out.

5:15 - 9:32 Dual BIOS rant.

"BIOS_SW and SB - drawback from using dual bios?
renderTimingPixel.png

I know what their function is and right now, I have BIOS_SW on Main Bios (switch up) and SB Switch on Single Bios (switch down). Does that mean, that the Mainboard deletes one bios and uses the full space?
Do I have any drawbacks from using a dual bios? I tend to play around and having a backup bios might save my ***.
"

"No, the motherboard does not delete the secondary BIOS if you were to disable dual BIOS functionality. Both BIOS chips are discrete 128 or 256 Mbit ICs you can find on the board. Whenever the motherboard is powered on, it will default to the previously used BIOS chip and power it on, use whatever BIOS is saved on that chip and attempt to post. The other chip remains powered off. Depending on the board, in the event that the board fails to post, it will retry a few times until it eventually falls back to the secondary BIOS chip and turn off the primary BIOS. Should it fail to post with the secondary BIOS also, then it will reset the BIOS. With dual BIOS off, it'll just skip the BIOS chip swapping part and reset the BIOS if an issue occurs. On older boards the backup BIOS is read-only and the board overwrites the main BIOS with the backup. Either way, you don't lose the backup if you turn dual BIOS off through the onboard switches.

The switches are essentially Gigabyte's answer to enthusiasts complaining about issues with BIOS resets when tinkering with overclocks. It's beneficial to not have the board decide when to swap chips or, worse, overwrite the main BIOS with the backup. BIOS profiles, for instance, are saved on the active BIOS chip. In the event that my OC is unstable and the board fails to post, I'd rather have the CMOS be reset, go back into the BIOS, load the profile up and mess with it some more until it is stable enough for my purpose. Dual BIOS just gets in the way of that.
"

Interesting thread finding this issue. Even on the AMD platform.

"Almost a year since the previous occurence. It seems to be healing without any action - ignoring the fact that the cmos battery is still outside the case. All I did was the usual: pull the plug disconnect the battery, and there she blows."

Back
Top Bottom