Gigabyte B650 Gaming X (AX) Owners

Soldato
I've just built a system with the board and it seems quite popular, one of the cheaper AM5 motherboards. I got mine in a bundle with a Ryzen 7600 with Jedi Survivor for £349. Pretty good value in the current market.

Putting it together was a breeze. Assembled it with the items in my signature and updated to the latest non-beta BIOS F6 using the Q Flash port. I have installed W11 and the latest chipset and GPU drivers from AMD with a 6950XT. Once it was all up and running I enabled EXPO1 and it's running 6000MHz CL36 RAM 2x 16GB right now without any issues.

What is everyone else's experience with this board?

Soldato
OP
Sounds like we literally have the same setup even down to the RAM (I bought my bundle a littler earlier albeit at a slightly higher price - for me it was cheaper than the DS3H mATX board and 7600 separately by around £40). :)

I have mine paired with either a RTX 4070 or ARC A770 /750 (for testing purposes) and honestly, besides the slow boot times, I can't really fault it. Still running the original bios it came with (had no need or want to change it) with a few minor bios tweaks (-15 CO, EXPO, and a very aggressive "silent" fan profile). CPU boosts to 5.15Ghz all core all day long so its nice and snappy for day to day use.

I was originally planning on upgrading to the 7800X3D but for my setup it would be somewhat pointless - gaming at 3440x1440.

If I need more raw CPU grunt for say video rendering I can fire up my i9 12900H Flow Z13 so don't really have a need for more than 6 cores right now (won't say it prevents the temptation to upgrade though... :p )

Only real downsides are the lack of PCI-E Gen 5 on the PCI-E x16 slot and primary NVME. TBH though, I imagine by the time either are actually useful and noticeable in actual day to day (not pointless sequential read/write benchmarks) use I would have upgraded by then.
Yes, there is plenty of performance in the 7600. I haven't noticed a slow boot time but I went straight to F6 BIOS just for the 1.3v limit. It is very snappy outside of gaming but it's really just a gaming build for me. I agree on PCIE 5, PCIE 4 x16 will be good for a long time yet, and as I don't buy expensive GPU's on release it will be some time before it holds me back. I've been pleased with the board so far, all the connectivity I need and the WIFI seems very quick. The Q Flash plus works well and is very easy to use.

Soldato
OP
Likely jumped on the same bundle deal. Effectively works out to be a £120 motherboard which is a far more reasonable cost. I can't wait to put it all together as it should offer a mild bump up from my old 4790k system!
That will be a huge jump. I've been very pleased so far, with W11 it seems very quick and driving my 6950XT easily at 1440p. Plenty of room for upgrades too without breaking the bank.

Soldato
OP
Got it all installed yesterday, had the joy of reconfiguring my SSDs for GPT instead of MBR (needed to be done really given MBR is legacy now) when reinstalling Windows. Boot time isn't all that bad from cold, certainly rapid after POST.

If I get a chance today I'll look into my EXPO stability as it refused to boot with it enabled initially - didn't have time to really dig into it. That's with an EXPO-certified Corsair Vengeance kit, 6000CL36.

Does anyone else have a really unresponsive mouse in the UEFI BIOS? Keyboard navigation is fine but mouse inputs are quite laggy and slow.
I checked mine the other day and it's about 22s cold boot from button press to W11 password. I think the UEFI's are all a little slow.

Soldato
OP
Mines been solid so far but I've not updated the bios incase it screws my Expo up.

Been meaning to do it but I've held off until I hear that all is well. Running mine at 6000mhz and Im not sure that the update will make me reduce speed. Is that the case?
F6 is giving me 6000MHz

Soldato
OP
We dont have f8b bios on the non m mb.

Ive been building my setup slowly over the last month.

7600x with this mb and 32gb vengence c36 5600 in a purebase 500 case with a ak400 dark black pure cooler. Just put the cooler on last night all need now i think is the gpu and maybe a ssd from old pc to new pc as not sure 2x 1tb wd 7700 m2 drives is enough with a almost full 4tb external hdd. Gona put the gpu from old pc into this new one a 6700xt 12gb card. Hopefully should be a good pair with the 7600x.

Im presuming all i have to do is set hdd to achi mode for the speed, put expo on for the ram, maybe do somit with fans then thats it for bios i think yeah? Dont wana mess about oc or uv'ing. Tho i might wana try eco mode if theres a easy way like one click button in bios, if i have to mess with timings i dunno if i would bother.
Yes pretty much what you listed, plug and play almost, and mine is running very nicely with W11. It's just a gaming machine. Undervolting is very easy with the AMD Adrenaline software, definitely recommended for monitoring things. Tbh for gaming you don't really need any more than this board provides.

Soldato
OP

My build so far if anyone interested.

Btw, did you guys attached the 4pin cpu power cable along with the 8pin one, or did you not plug it in and thought 8pin was enough, as im not sure so i just put both in.
Looking good so far. I always use both, just in case ;)

Soldato
OP
I was right.

F8a
8.60 MB
Jun 08, 2023
  1. Checksum : 8257
  2. Update AMD AGESA 1.0.0.7a Patch A
  3. Update Chipset FW for device compatibility
F7
8.57 MB
Jun 07, 2023
  1. Checksum : A6F8
  2. AMD AGESA 1.0.0.6
  3. Addresses download assistant vulnerabilities reported by Eclypsium Research
Thanks, I'll give F7 a go then.

Soldato
OP
Some nice updates coming through now. I can see me having this board for some time. Eventually an X3D CPU and much faster DDR5 at some point should give a nice performance upgrade in a couple of years time.

Soldato
OP
Sounds like a very similar experience to me. Great setup for the money. The 7600 seems fine for now for gaming, I'll drop in an 8800X3D in the future when they've had a price drop. Should just need the odd GPU upgrade.

I've been tempted by the SN850X price drops but in reality I'd never notice the difference. The SN770 is still a very responsive drive.

Soldato
OP
Anyone controlling RGB with this? I have 3 Corsair fans and commander pro+RGB hub. 3 Arctic P12 RGB fans, Kingston Fury Beast RGB RAM and an Arctic Freezer 360 RGB AIO. I don't seem to be able to do anything with the Arctic fans. Neither the Gigabyte or Open RGB seems to support Arctic products. Any ideas?

Soldato
OP
Sounds like a very similar experience to me. Great setup for the money. The 7600 seems fine for now for gaming, I'll drop in an 8800X3D in the future when they've had a price drop. Should just need the odd GPU upgrade.

I've been tempted by the SN850X price drops but in reality I'd never notice the difference. The SN770 is still a very responsive drive.
Decided to put a third m.2 in for photo storage. Moving an SN770 to be repurposed for that and got an SN850X for a game drive. Not expecting to see any difference!

Soldato
OP
How stable is this board? I'm considering it for my wife's build as the price it's a very nice price (though hoping to grab a sale). I'm looking to pair it with a 7600X and 2x16gb Corsair Vengeance 6000 C36. I was looking at the Asus Prime, partly for aesthetic purposes, but seen a couple horror shows on VRMs with the Prime.
I've had one from release with no issues.

Back
Top Bottom