Gigabyte EX58 UD5 multiple restart on cold boot

Associate
I've got the gigabyte ud5 overclocked 4.00Ghz bundle. The system is absolutely rock solid once booted, and it is perfectly happy with warm restarts but I get problems everytime I cold boot.

The machine starts to boot, then shuts down, then starts to boot again. This can go on for about 4 -6 times. Sometimes when it finally boots it grumbles about OC settings, but I just reload the 4.00ghz settings and restart and the machine starts fine. A lot of the time the machine reboots without grumbling about OC settings.

Is there anything that I can tweak in the BIOS to rectify this. I am wondering if it is because a lot of the settings in the BIOS are left on auto. Could the motherboard be 'working out' what values to apply during this repeated boot process?

Please help, I'm clueless as to what to try.
Cheers.

Associate
OP
Glad it's not only me, was thinking I'd done something daft. I tried upgrading to the F9e recently but it didnt resolve anything. Cheers anyway - will post in the support forum as you suggest.

Associate
OP
To be honest I havent looked - which is pretty inexcusable as i have a transparent window on the case. If I get time I'll check tonight - otherwise will respond next week as I'm away for a few days.

Associate
OP
Hi. I just thought that I'd let you know that I dropped the PCI express frequency from 101 to 100 and the problem (touch wood) seems to have been resolved. I note that in the forums a lot of people recommend 101 for stability but 100 seems better on mine.

Cheers..

Associate
OP
Sighn - Thanks!!!!

I tried changing my settings as per your suggestions but the board would not boot at all. In the end though I have found that by setting IOH manually to 1.1v from Auto and setting PCI-E Express frequency at 100 instead of 101, this seems to do the trick for me.

I've had the machine plugged in all day but not turned on (a sure fire way to get the multiple reboot) and the machine boots fine. I've not had a multiple boot since changing IOH so hopefully this is now resolved. Yah !

Back
Top Bottom