Gigabyte EX58 UD5 multiple restart on cold boot

Associate
I don't have one of these motherboards but I thought I would do some research on the mobo before considering buying one. OC did have that bundled kit going for £550 then it shot back up to £595 and now £620, that seems crazy price fluxuation so I'd be well pised if I'd payed £620 and then have the price drop to £550 a few days later. And buying these components separately costs £570. So you really do get ripped for the privilage of buying an OC kit at the wrong time. But this thread is about that mobo and those having problems with it and you have not been alone as you can see from this thread here with 15,000 + views..

http://forums.pcper.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61

I was tempted to go for this kit but the huge cooler and lack of direct fan control was a concern. The mobo seems to have more problems than it's worth..
I have had two motherboards in the past 10 years and neither have had any hardware issues. Both were ASUS, one for an Athlon 750 and another, an A8V Deluxe on a AMD 64 3500.

ASUS is known for having very poor customer service but if you never have any major problems then thats fine and dandy.

Last edited:
Associate
I have been running the Gigabyte EX58-UD5, with an i7 920 for a couple of months now, and haven't had one problem with it at all.
The only thing about the board that annoys me a bit is time it takes from Power Button, to the BIOS screen coming up, as it apparently runs an automatic safe voltage settings check..maybe someone can confirm or elaborate on that, but imho its a fantastic board, easy to overclock, and the F9e bios seems to help the S3 sleep errors on Windows 7 I was also having (sleep resume...just held on a black screen, no monitor input)

Great board :)

Soldato
I have same problems of slow boot up with my x58 ud5 but when i first got the board it would boot very fast into windows but now its slow nothink like it was at first no more saying wow.
Is not much different from my old e8400 setup and also i get blue screens sometimes even when installing windows.

This my second Gigabyte board and both have problems so no more for me will stick with asus in the future.

Last edited:
Associate
Anybody tried reviewing their QPI/VTT (Uncore) voltage settings?

(OC Bundle: Gigabyte ex58 ud5 (F7 BIOS), Fenrir Heatsink, i7 920 D0 @4GHz & 2GBx3 OCZ RAM @1600MHz)

I had the Double boot issue ever since I first built my system but I assumed it was the natural way for the motherboard to run, in it's overclocked state, so I never bothered to do anything about it. All I'd done is tweaked CPU Vcore voltage as low as possible, at 4GHz, while keeping Prime95 happy.

I eventually encountered the multiple-boot issue (OCUK and my own CMOS profile) which would, at times, remove certain or all overclock settings. This went on for about two months and was become more of an occasional thing. I decided to review BIOS settings.

The only changes I made:
Changed IOH voltage from Auto to Manual (because NB/X58 LED hinted voltage to be quite high)
Changed QPI/VTT Voltage from Auto to Manual
Changed Uncore Frequency from Auto to Manual

Problem immediately gone! I get perfect cold boots every time even if the power was previously off from the back of the PSU. The system goes straight to POST without the quick double-boot or occasional multiple-boot. Also, it seems that warm boots no longer go through hardware POST (there's no beep).

One thing I find strange is many people, including myself, only experienced multi-boots when the system has been off for a long while.
1 - The above only happened to me when the room was very cold
2 - I never had the problem in Summer

I never had the issue if I kept the room very warm. In fact, I could make it happen simply by keeping the place cold
:confused: I know it might seem weird, but I'm just sharing my experience.

My personal BIOS settings (obviously exclusive for my build):
CPU Clock Ratio..........................................x20 (4.00GHz)
QPI Link Speed .........................................x36 (7.2GHz)
BLCK Frequency ...................................200MHz
Memory Multiplier .......................................8.0 (1600MHz)
DRAM timings 8 8 8 24 tRFC 74 Command Rate 1
CPU Vcore Voltage ..............................1.26875v
QPI/Vtt Voltage .......................................1.26v //within 0.5v of DRAM Voltage
IOH Core ..................................................1.1v
DRAM Voltage ..........................................1.64v
Uncore Frequency .......................................x16 (3200MHz) //possible to go higher if QPI/Vtt Voltage raised
PCI-E Express Frequency ................................100

Some of the above is what I edited from the OCUK profile; all the unmentioned is pretty much the same. I also disabled the boot splash screen so I can check CPU and Ram speed during boot.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi all,

Ive recently just had to deal with the 88 Error

As far as i could diagnose 88 is caused if the power supply to the ATX12V connector is faulty. My ATX12v had came loose ever so slightly. They don't seem too like to much of bend on them close to the connection.

I found that if you remove the ATX12v, leaving the main 24pin connector in the UD5 that 88 will be shown when you hit the power button, seems 88 isn't really a error code, its just all the elements of the LED display lighting up as the board powers up.

Personally i would try to reseat your ATX12v connector,or replace it. Yet as "88" isn't really a error code (the board hasn't even achieved proper power nor begun its testing), "88" could also mean a whole host of other problems with the board regarding power issues (blown caps, bad solder on your power connectors on the board etc. etc.) ....or call it a "RMA Me!" error code......

but i'd check all the cables first, hope this helps and best of luck :)

(oh and FF is considered a clean/errorfree boot of the system board and that the board is now looking for a Operating system from its Boot Priority choices you made in the BIOS)

In regards to the OP topic I have had this same issue. I find it usually does it when i'm at 4Ghz Overclock, and usually only after a hard boot (the power cord being disconnected). Lately i have been running at 3.6 or so and haven't noticed it at all. At first I thought it was just a Fan check, as i usually work with servers i'm used to the "quick power up and blast the fans then turn off and back on again" yet after reading the above posts I'm starting to wonder if its a fault now.

I'll try to keep an eye out for it, especially since the "88" error has deleted all my OC'd profiles. back to the drawing board for me it seems ;)

Last edited:
Associate
Hello,

I also bought the oc'd bundle and have very slow cold booting.

I'm new to this so I'm also unsure that my system is even overclocked - it is telling me that the memory frequency is 1066 Mhz and sits there for a while (I also have an SSD so the lengthy boot time is fairly annoying tbh)

Soldato
i got the i7 860 bundle and that was suffering from a booting problem as well, so i just cleared cmos and im going to oc it my self

Associate
With my current config (for OC i7 920), QPI/Vtt voltage above 1.28v (or auto) = double-boot issue.
Also, I get the impression POST investigates with sniffer dogs and search lights on this board.

Associate
OP
Sighn - Thanks!!!!

I tried changing my settings as per your suggestions but the board would not boot at all. In the end though I have found that by setting IOH manually to 1.1v from Auto and setting PCI-E Express frequency at 100 instead of 101, this seems to do the trick for me.

I've had the machine plugged in all day but not turned on (a sure fire way to get the multiple reboot) and the machine boots fine. I've not had a multiple boot since changing IOH so hopefully this is now resolved. Yah !

Associate
No problem.

I wouldn't, however, advise trying the same voltage settings that I am using. For mine, I just manipulated and lowered certain voltages as low as I could while trying to maintain stability. Doing the same with your build/components is likely to yield different voltage results.

Hopefully you'll have no more multiple boot issues as of now, though!

Associate
Just read this post and going to try the fix that seems to have worked for a few.

Getting sick of it now all this on and off huffing and puffing of the computer.

Also I wonder if it cures this new problem I got with sleep.

Leave the system in sleep for not long - FINE - no problems.

Leave it a while, powers up then huffs and puffs and goes off then comes back on but with no screen keyboard etc and needs a cold boot.

On F9E bios and the latest ATI drivers for 5870 cured a new sleep problem I had with win7, but now this.

Had the cold boot thing for ages and thought it was just me but seems like a proper annoyance for many. Thanks.

Associate
lol no way dude I bought the bundle coz I would break it trying to do that - just got my profiles on USB and away I go. Changed these settings above so with a bit of luck.....!!

Back
Top Bottom