Gigabyte G34WQC - 1440p ultrawide

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Read the announcement about this the other week.

It's another 3440x1440 VA ultrawide, but more discreet, less "gamer" looking, and depending on pricing, could be rather good, as unlike the iiyama, and AOC, this seems to have both freesync and g-sync compatibility support according to its product page. So hopefully no flickering that seems to plague the iiyama and AOC version of this panel!

Link to site;

https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Monitor/G34WQC#kf

ljt

ljt

Soldato
OP
it is tempting I must admit, because my current monitor limits me to nvidia only if I want to retain variable refresh rate. so i'm looking for a replacement that doesn't tie me down to one GPU vendor

ljt

ljt

Soldato
OP
Could always try tapping it to see if it moves :p (depending on where it is on the screen that is - don't do it if it's not in line of sight, as it may knock it right into the centre or within your vision)

ljt

ljt

Soldato
OP
Doh!

This is a bit hard to explain, but you can confirm if its actual dead pixels by putting your mouse cursor over where they are (when looking straight on) then move your head position while maintaining eye contact with the defect. If it stays within the cursor boundary then its definitely dead pixel, but if it moves around as you move then it's more than likely dust between the layers.

I have a tiny defect on my current monitor, but thankfully its right at the top of the screen, it turns out it's dust, not a dead pixel

ljt

ljt

Soldato
OP
What about the AOC monitor? It’s more expensive but does it show any of the issues the gigabyte/iiyama panels have? I really want an ultra wide but holding off because of this flickering issue.

Exactly the same issue. They all use the same panel. Every monitor that uses this panel suffers from flickering by the looks of it.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
OP
Bugger. Is there another ultra wide that’s doesn’t break the bank?

Not really I'm afraid. Not if you want 34 inch 1440p, with g-sync/freesync support.

The ones that don't seem to have issues are generally IPS screens, and twice the price unfortunately :(

Monitors have to be one of the worst and hardest parts to buy for a system, the quality you get for the prices is terrible!

ljt

ljt

Soldato
OP
IPS has it's own issues such as grey blacks,lower contrast and the awful IPS glow,IPS won't be necessarily better than VA.
also doesn't Iiyama have an IPS 34" ultra wide 144Hz 1440p (flat not curved) for £400 with similar issues?

I'm not sure the flat Iiyama has flickering issues, it seems to be more general quality control issues like you say, such as glow, dead/stuck pixels, screen not waking from sleep etc.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
OP
Hi, Yesterday I ordered this monitor, G34WQC (on pre-order). Although I received both confirmations of this order/purchase from Paypal and Overclockers. There is no mention of estimated delivery date or any other information related to my order. Only a link was provided in the order confirmation from Overclockers, however, this link is headed CPU/GPU pre-orders, so not sure if the information provided in this link is relevant.
This morning and now, I am on the phone with Overclockers to find out the status of my order. However, I unable to get through to anyone at all, it is constantly ringing non-stop.
Can anyone here provide any information in regards to my order? such as when the monitor will be in stock, when will the monitor be delivered, estimate date, etc.
Why is there no one answering the phones?

They probably wont be able to tell you exactly. Someone asked this just over a week ago, see post number 207

Gigabyte G34WQC - 1440p ultrawide

ljt

ljt

Soldato
OP
It seems to be the case as they don't answer their phones. I tried so far today calling them 3 times and at each call was on hold for an hour and all I hear is the ring tone. So in that case you're right they are not telling me anything, so I have no idea what is going on.
But they have my money...

Apparently they don't know how many they are getting in each delivery if they even get any at all.

They are coming in dribs and drabs with no set amount or timetable, so would be unable to give you a definitive date or even a queue position because it would mean nothing if they don't know how regular they are getting them

Back
Top Bottom