Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming 3 - red cpu LED and no post

Associate
Hi all

In need of some help and utterly stuck on what to do next.

As recommended in the overclockers forums, today I took delivery of a ryzen 5 1600, gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming 3 motherboard and 16gb (2x 8gb) team Group Vulcan 3000mhz ddr4 RAM.

Simply swapped out the old components and plugged everything back in (I have been building computers since the 90's and have extensive knowledge on what to do)

Currently sitting along side the new hardware is the existing gtx 970, a 650w bronze rated power supply and the usual WiFi card, front USB 3.0 power cable and two case fans, 3 HDD's and a DVD drive.

Plugged the power in and everything starts up (cpu fans, case fans, gpu fans, dvd drive beeps, case LED's etc)

.. But, I get no signal to the monitor, nothing displays on the screen and then it enters standby mode as if the pc was switched off, on the motherboard is a single red LED lit up and according to the manual it is the CPU LED (I will also note the LED strip on the motherboard flashes once briefly)

Appears quite a few other people have this issue but no real answer.

I have tried:

Removing the RAM and trying in different slots, individual and both together.

Re-seating the CPU and cooler

Removing the CMOS battery for longer than 20 minutes and shorting out the cmos reset pins

Removing the graphics card and trying in a different slot. Trying the dvi cable in a different port.

Removing all components, cables in different orders and of course trying with just the CPU

Be a shame to RMA this, I have already read that the mobo bios version might not support the ryzen 5 1600, which is also a shame as I can't even post to update it! (revision 1.0 if that helps)

Old PC was a 2500 with 16gb ddr3 ram, plugged this back in and everything seems fine.

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply, yes tried all of those suggestions and nothing, just the CPU LED remaining solid, no signal going to screen.

Soldato
Have you tried, you probably have, taking the gpu out and trying with the on board. I would also check the 8 pin cpu power cable at the top of the board, make sure it's seated correctly.

Associate
OP
Unfortunately the 1600 doesn't come with an onboard graphics adapter. And yes tried holding in the ATX 12v power cables too (2x 4 pin cables)

Looking like an RMA :(

Associate
OP
Yeah something is definitely not right but unfortunately I have nothing to narrow down the problem, whether it be RAM, CPU or mobo.

Funny you mention that though, I have just tried one final ditch with everything outside the case, with minimal components to get it going and shorting the pins to boot it up, unfortunately same problem.

Will speak with RMA team tomorrow, hopefully OCUK have a tech team who can diagnose the problem, could be something as simple as old bios version not supporting the R5 1600.

Thank you all for your attention anyway, if anyone has any suggestions between now and tomorrow morning I'd still be glad to hear them :)

EDIT: psu is a cooler master GX bronze 650w, been solid as a rock and still works fine with the old hardware.

Soldato
Associate
OP
Yes that sounds about right, I checked the gigabyte website last night and older bios versions do not support the ryzen 5's, so I have probably just been unlucky and had a first edition board.

I was on the phone to OC this morning and they agreed it's likely the bios version and they will take it back to update, and all the components just in case it is in the unlikely event the CPU or RAM.

So credit to them! :)

Associate
I got same m/board and i had to use default in bios and used 1 stick of memory. After it booted i then updated bios and it works a treat - so try that, good luck :)

Soldato
I got same m/board and i had to use default in bios and used 1 stick of memory. After it booted i then updated bios and it works a treat - so try that, good luck :)

You have an R7 1700 though ? They are supported out of the box. The R5 series apparently need the updated bios to work properly.

Associate
OP
Thought I would just update you all and anyone else who comes across this dead end.

Sent back for an RMA and they flashed the BIOS to the latest version (F7). All is working as it should be! Guess I was just unlucky and had an older mobo model sent before the R5's came out.

Ed

Ed

Soldato
I do hope this isn't the case with mine!

Hi everyone,

I've just setup a Gigabyte GA-AB350M-G3 with a Ryzen 5 1600 and one stick of 8Gb 2400 Corsair RAM but I'm not getting anything from the mobo's HDMI or VGA port to the monitor. The stick of RAM is placed second from the CPU.

The keyboard's num-lock and caps-lock works so there's some signs of life but I wonder if you chaps have any bright ideas of things I'm overlooking?

There's no GPU in there yet either, if that helps.

Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom