• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gigabyte GPUs are cracking :(

Rossmann knows his stuff, and the evidence is pretty interesting. Most of the cracks appear around the PCIe connector, in particular a sharp 90degree corner with an obviously high stress concentration.

Likely a combination of lower cost PCB materials (core & prepreg), how heavy the cards are and where the weight lies on the PCIe connector. I know from experience such failure modes can be tough to design for, but having them on more than 1 series of card is really poor.

Be careful when transporting your PC, and ideally use an anti-sag brace on longer & heavier cards to stop such high stress on the PCIe connector.

Even if you do not have a warranty over goods which you have purchased, you still have statutory rights under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 (CRA 2015).

If goods bought from a retailer aren’t of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose and as described, you have the right to return them and get a full refund within 30 days of purchase.

Within six months of purchase, it’s up to the retailer to prove that you caused the problem with the goods: if they can’t, they’ll have to repair or replace the goods or give you a refund if that’s not possible.

After this initial six-month period, you will have to prove that any faults are not down to misuse of the product or general wear and tear. This might require you to obtain an expert report, opinion or evidence of similar problems across the product range. Factors such as the price, the specification/model of the goods, the length of time you’ve had the goods and the length of time which they should last will all be considerations.

If all else fails, you have six years from when you bought the faulty goods to take a claim to the small claims court and reclaim the cost of repair of the product.
Would the cracking fall under wear & tear ? I would imagine Gigabyte would try to claim it is, but common sense would suggest it's an obvious design flaw and therefore you should be covered no ?

next port of call is to say user error and deny
"Physical damage is ALWAYS user error and never under warranty" - is the default excuse of all vendors. Otherwise they'd have to admit they messed something up in the project or execution and they will always try to avoid that (also for legal reasons, which could cost them many millions).

Gigabyte have a history of screwing up graphics cards. I tend to avoid them due to this as you never know whether you get a bad batch.
The AMD 7850/7870's from Gigabyte were the ones I always remember, crashing and black screens.
GTX 580's werent great either.

Every AIB has a history of screwing up designs really if you go back far enough. Asus have sure dropped a whole bunch of turds over the years, mainly with their AMD cards (like the R9 290(X) using an ill-fitting cooler designed for the GTX 780). Even the absolute top tier brands in people's minds, like Sapphire with their pathetic first effort at making Polaris cards or EVGA with their exploding Pascal FTWs. That's why unflinching brand loyalty is baffling to me. The pecking order changes every generation in terms of product quality, though I can understand why people might have stuck with EVGA even when their coolers were a bit crap because of the warranty.

Gigabyte have been the new Asrock (Early days) for blooming ages. People buy their stuff? The tachyon is cool but everything else is meh. They spend to much time on bling these days for all the chavs.

Look who jumped on the topic too..

Also Gigabyte have had issues from day one with their 30 series cards from poor power connectors, on this very forums too with the silly pcb design that had extension cables to the connectors that would have sinking power pins. To cards dying from games killing them or other software due to some issue on the cards like EVGA had too with 30 series cards too and now this PCB cracking cards.

Also won't mention their top of the range motherboard at that time that would have the metal heat sinks discolour over time too on their most expensive motherboard. Just poor quality control or bad luck... but I always never felt comfortable with their products.. Also just remembered the sticker issue on their gpus too where the sticker on the card would come off and they had to send replacement stickers too...Probably more things I forgot or to come up..

So no surprise really and look even the Gigabyte rep on these very forums vanished during all these issues in the end and has not been seen since. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Gigabyte have been the new Asrock (Early days) for blooming ages. People buy their stuff? The tachyon is cool but everything else is meh. They spend to much time on bling these days for all the chavs.
Asrock has always been better. So unless you can show some issues I may have missed. Talking about quality control here not designs that were budget and even then they were priced as a budget product but certain youtubers got butt hurt when Asrock stopped sending samples no names but we know which Steve we are talking about here. I would rather buy Asrock than Asus, Gigabyte any day of the week and never had a single issue with their motherboards as an example.

Last edited:
Buildzoid put a video up about this last night saying it seems like a bunch of baloney, and looked at numerous examples of cards from other manufacturers being listed on Ebay with the same issue (many being sold by a certain Bolton-based competitor). His conclusion was that it's shipping damage from prebuilts and a bunch of cards showing up at repair shops doesn't really mean anything (as we've seen recently with the AMD cracked dies and Cablemod scandals/non-issues). The video has been taken down now though, so not sure what that's about.

Buildzoid put a video up about this last night saying it seems like a bunch of baloney, and looked at numerous examples of cards from other manufacturers being listed on Ebay with the same issue (many being sold by a certain Bolton-based competitor). His conclusion was that it's shipping damage from prebuilts and a bunch of cards showing up at repair shops doesn't really mean anything (as we've seen recently with the AMD cracked dies and Cablemod scandals/non-issues). The video has been taken down now though, so not sure what that's about.

Wouldn't it be easy for someone "in the know" to compare the quality of the PCB?

Screenshot-from-2023-06-11-01-23-07.png

most likely scenario was the comments and forums saying buildzoid is shilling for gigabyte and got backlash same way jay2cents did on the 4060ti review. even if buildzoid believes its issue with prebuilds , well prebuilds are not restricted to gigabyte cards only. so this issue so far is isolated to gigabyte. iv lost a lot of respect for buildzoid after the way he handled this with his comment about not caring. hes giving us the middle finger so i raise him one on each hand.

Back
Top Bottom