• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3X

Associate
OP
So I managed to do some testing this evening.

It seems my PSU is at fault here. Tried the card in my wifes machine and it made here PSU groan a bit but not as much as my Corsair (her PSU is not great). I pulled my PSU out of the PC and did some more testing - its definitely coming from the PSU, I just can't get my head in my case to be 100%.

I am going to pick up a PSU tomorrow (OCZ?) so hopefully we should be all good once installed :)

Associate
1. Yes. Mine squeal like its hell and when the fps counter is over 500+ the squeal is very high pitch

2. I dont remember hearing 100% fan during boot up but mine goes to about ~50%. its not loud as I cannot hear it over my haf x fans

You can gamble an RMA but there is a very good chance that you will get a card that have coil whine as well. Changing the power supply might have a better chance of removing / reducing coil whine though.

Associate
OP
Mine doesn't have coil whine but the fans do spin up a bit at boot. Not to 100% though. When I got to the desktop and opened AB quickly the fans were at 45% but then dropped down slowly to 21%. No Idea why they ramp up a bit at boot :confused:

I just tested my video card fans - my mistake as there is no way they are running at 100% at boot, more like 40 to 50 %.

Its odd how some do it and some don't. Firmware maybe?

Associate
My old 4890 used to boot to full fans,installed new 670 windforce yesterday,no fan spin at boot (not that I can hear anyway) no coil whine ,really quiet great temps plays all games maxed out ,not bothered overclocking it yet,very nice upgrade.

Associate
Ok card finally installed, 7970 wf fans do not spin up on startup have a very small amount of coil wine under full load running heaven but could only just hear over noise of case fans.Currently using what i thought was cat 12.4 from guru3d but CCC says 12.3 driver 8.961 and Afterburner 2.2.2.
Can report that voltage in CCC has +-20% slider and Afterburner volts bar unlocked currently stock is 1174mV. Just ran Heaven bench and scored 1793 fan set at 50% max temps 58C card stock out of box. Idle temps 30C very quiet card.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just ordered a Corsair HX 750W - this should fix the issue.

Good PSU. No funny noises from mine (unlike the Tagan!).

By all accounts, it could easily have been rated at 900w! but they would have lost their "80 PLUS SILVER certification " so left it at 750w (or so the story goes).

Associate
I have 3 Gigabyte gtx 670 WF cards atm, will choose the 2 best ones for OCing in SLI and sell the 3rd, no coil whining from any of em :)

Back
Top Bottom