• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gigabyte R9 280x Artifacts.

Associate
Hello all,

I have had this Gigabyte R9 280x Rev.2 for about 6 months now and have always noticed something wrong with it. I just kept on brushing it under the carpet and it is really getting to me now.
I have noticed a few problems, first one being that artifacts in some games, Especially in GTA 4, in Arma 3 (when viewing the map) and in WOW.
Here is what I am seeing.

92JsviR.jpg.png

pWRBwQu.jpg.png

fiYufed.jpg.png

lQHYMlu.jpg.png

qg8G9jA.jpg.png

Another issue is that the fan rattles when running near 100% and it seems to have a hard time keeping itself cool. I always seem to have to set the manual fan speed in MSI afterburner.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
JCX50

Caporegime
overheating gpu ram is usually the cause of artifacts like those

look in gpu-z to see what the vrm temps are like

might not be enough memory voltage also,could try either downclocking the ram slightly or use msi afterburner to add a touch more ram voltage to the card

Associate
OP
There is only so much you can do to "help" it before it becomes a more prominent issue!

I gave up with my 290 and had to send it back!

You never know though, it may fix it.

Yeah, I think i'm done with AMD cards for a long time. I have had 2 GTX 670's for coming up to 2 years and no problems what so ever!

Permabanned
Fan issue will not get any better and you say you struggle to keep it cool.

Wonder if same Fans as MSI used, an oil leaking?

Caporegime
There is only so much you can do to "help" it before it becomes a more prominent issue!

I gave up with my 290 and had to send it back!

You never know though, it may fix it.

true but I have one 7850 that will crash everytime unless I set atleast 10% or more power control slider,then its 100% stable

gigabyte are a bit flaky with gpu's though,just see what you can do to try and improve it then rma if no joy

Associate
OP
Fan issue will not get any better and you say you struggle to keep it cool.

Wonder if same Fans as MSI used, an oil leaking?

Yeah, I have noticed something wired on the PCB where the bridge is. Its a lot darker and dust never seems to settle.

Associate
OP

might not be enough memory voltage also,could try either downclocking the ram slightly or use msi afterburner to add a touch more ram voltage to the card

Temps are at 80*c max.

Associate
OP
Best to get a good look at it shut down with a good torch, the fan will fail eventually.

It doesn't show up very well but to the left and right sides of the bridge its darker and no dust seems to land there. I can't seem to feel any oil or liquid on the top PCB.

0T3Gdxv.jpg.png

Associate
OP

I have upped the power limit to 10%, under clocked by 100Mhz on the core and memory and no luck. :(

Associate
OP
I'm going to down the power limit by 10%. Then RMA. :( Its a shame because this card is the second broken 280x.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom