• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gigabyte RTX 3080 Eagle OC 10G: clock stuck at boost suddenly.

Associate
Hello,

I've recently begun having some issues with my RTX 3080 which until recently had been working fine. I booted my PC one day and noticed the fans revving up very loud every twenty seconds. So I opened HWInfo to see what's going on, and apparently the clock was stuck at boost speed (1755Mhz) which caused the card to overheat rapidly, so the fans revved up at an interval to cool it down below 55 degrees celsius threshold. My GPU load at that time was 0-1% which made it all the more weird. High clock at boost speed obviously causes a 100W of power draw which is aweful.

Apart from that, I began noticing significant coil whine (which sometimes even kicks in when idle) that wasn't there before. In games it's loud and quite annoying.I later found out that if I open up Nvidia Control Panel and set the power management mode to Optimal or Adaptive (instead of prefer max performance), the clock will go down to 210Mhz which is what I like to see. However, for weeks till recently, I had been running global max performance setting with no issues whatsoever. My understing is, and I confirmed it with some other nvidia users, that 'prefer max performance' should still downclock the card accordingly, and it happened in my case before, but now it will just lock the card at boost speed.

So I did some further testing and found out that if I shut all the running apps, the clock WILL go down 210Mhz on maximum performance mode, but opening pretty much any application that has some minimal impact on the GPU (like Visual Studio Code which is basically a text editor, Windows mail app, etc.) will instantly lock the card at 1755Mhz, draw 100W of power and make it overheat. This didn't happen before, and I've confirmed with others it should not happen. The cards temperatures are all right, 35-40 degrees celsius when I'm literally not using anything (no mail app, no nothing). Any app like those I mentioned before, will cause the card to go to 55 degrees (would go higher, but the fans rev up) and sit at 1755Mhz clock when there's practically no reason to draw so much power for such a menial task.So that's that.

I could technically run the card with Optimal/Adaptive setting, but I'm worried there is something wrong with the card that can potentially shorten its lifespan, especially that it began overnight. The coil whine, however, is present even on Optimal/Adaptive setting (when idle, 0% load). I contacted Nvidia Tech Support, and pretty much the only thing we managed to discover together is that running NVCP Debug mode can clock it down to 1710Mhz instead of 1755Mhz, but later the Nvidia tech told me to contact the manufacturer and keep him updated.

So I was wondering whether you're familiar with that issue and if maybe you'd have any suggestions as to what should I do to make it work as good as before. Some people have been reporting a similar problem on EVGA Forums, with no apparent cause, which could perhaps point to some driver issue? I'm not sure about that, however, since I did a clean uninstall and that does not explain the fact that it began overnight. Maybe some issues with the Windows 10 driver that might have been installed when I shut down my PC? I have not personally overclocked the card further.

Some of the things I've tried:
1) DDU, clean uninstall of drivers in safe mode.
2) Process Explorer => Killing pretty much any proces that could have some sneaky impact on the GPU; no matter what I do, whenever I open a basic app, the clock will lock at 1755Mhz.
3) Nvidia Inspector App can artificially limit the clock to 420 (Multidisplay power saver), but that's no solution really, only an artificial workaround/gimmick.
4) Malwarebytes scan.

None of these really can bring the card to how it was before.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Have a nice day.

Associate
are you running msi afterburner, did you do anything with the voltage curve?
What model is your card, have you downloaded the latest bios for the card since you recieved it and started using it?
Have you tried disabling hardware acceleration gpu scheduling in windows?

Associate
OP
are you running msi afterburner, did you do anything with the voltage curve?
What model is your card, have you downloaded the latest bios for the card since you recieved it and started using it?
Have you tried disabling hardware acceleration gpu scheduling in windows?
1) I did use MSI Afterburner at some point, but I have not tinkered with the voltage curve. Used it to look at the clocks. Did a full uninstall of the Afterburner a couple of days ago.
2) GeForce RTX™ 3080 EAGLE OC 10G (SN203741053878-048). I have not downloaded the latest GPU bios, because it's been working fine until recently.
3) I have never enabled the hardware acceleration GPU scheduling.

Associate
Had this problem myself with a MSI 3080 trio.

it’s a appears to be triggered in my system when using Asus Fan expert, MSI Afterburner and setting power mode to max in Nvidia control panel.

Clean install of windows sorted it all out Along with not touching the power setting in Nvidia control panel.

had the exact same problem with a 2070 super and a 3070 in this build.

Associate
OP
Clean install of windows sorted it all out Along with not touching the power setting in Nvidia control panel.
Yep, clean Windows install is probably what I'm going to do over the weekend.
I understand you did once go to Nvidia Control Panel after the clean install to change the global setting to prefer maximum performance?

edit: I did a clean Windows install. Same thing. Probably a hardware issue then.

Last edited:
Associate
I’ve just re enabled Max performance in Nvidia control panel and mine is stuck at full boost again.

reinstalled Nvidia driver and all is good again.

bottom line, don’t bother touching the power setting after doing a clean driver install.
What MOBO and processor are you running?

Associate
OP
bottom line, don’t bother touching the power setting after doing a clean driver install.
What MOBO and processor are you running?
Damn. It shouldn't get stuck like this, and definitely didn't happen for me before.

I'm currently running MSI Z490 Tomahawk with i7-10700K and a Seasonic FOCUS 850W power supply.

Associate
Hmmm. I’m on a Asus Tuff Z490, 10700k also.

Rm850x.

This build did exactly the same with a 2070 super, 3070 and now this MSI 3080 trio.

bet it something to do with the Z490/10700k

Associate
Are you running NVidia Broadcast by any chance? I notice that on startup if I have the mic noise reduction and/or video effects enabled (even if the camera/mic are not currently in use) the GPU stays around 1725MHz, if I enable/disable one of those features it goes back to idle. Seems to be an odd startup issue with it.

Associate
OP
Are you running NVidia Broadcast by any chance? I notice that on startup if I have the mic noise reduction and/or video effects enabled (even if the camera/mic are not currently in use) the GPU stays around 1725MHz, if I enable/disable one of those features it goes back to idle. Seems to be an odd startup issue with it.
I've never installed Nvidia Broadcast, so unfortunately that's not it, but I appreciate your suggestion.

Associate
OP
To clarify, are you changing power management mode to "prefer maximum performance" when you encounter the high clock speeds? Or does it also occur on optimal power?
The clock only gets stuck at 1755Mhz with "prefer maximum performance" setting, and my understanding is that it should still downclock to reasonable speeds with that option on when there's no GPU load. Otherwise having only a text editor on (with "prefer maximum performance") will cause the card to run at 1755Mhz, draw 100W of power and overheat, which causes the fans to rev up really loud every twenty seconds.
With both adaptive and optimal setting, the card runs fine with the clock at around 210Mhz. However, I notice coil whining on all power management settings (when practically idle), and I don't think it was that noticeable before.

Here's what other users say:

'If i set it to Prefer Maximum Performance Mode, the clock will capped at Maximum clock when i run any games or 3d apps that put load on the gpu.. And goes back to the lowest clock when idling.'

'Like i said it's only supposed to affect it by 3d applications. If it does for you, try it on a clean windows install. It will run at idle clock speeds. Some program you are using is requesting max clock speeds.It is not supposed to lock clock speeds to max while doing nothing'

My card, on the other hand, won't downclock correctly when indling, and clean install had no effect on that.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hi, I'm back with an update.

Across the last two days, my GPU drivers crashed twice (screen blackout with no PC reset). The first time I thought it was a coincidence, but now I'm sure there really must be something wrong going on with my GPU.

Any idea what could it be now?

Associate
Hi, I'm back with an update.

Across the last two days, my GPU drivers crashed twice (screen blackout with no PC reset). The first time I thought it was a coincidence, but now I'm sure there really must be something wrong going on with my GPU.

Any idea what could it be now?
have you down loaded the latest drivers?

Back
Top Bottom