• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gigabyte RTX 3080 Eagle OC 10G: clock stuck at boost suddenly.

Associate
OP
Is there a reason you do not want to use the optimal setting? I have been using it on my eagle card and it's working as expected.
The main reason is that I had been using prefer maximum performance mode earlier and it had been working fine. Then I noticed coil whining, locked clock and overheating overnight, so I figured there must be something wrong with my system. Also, GPU driver crashes have started to happen recently. Optimal works fine more or less, but I can't be sure if it isn't a hardware issue and whether I should RMA.

Soldato
what do you have running on your system after closing everything down? I tested out prefer maximum performance and it locked to full 3D clocks with pretty much anything open which is what I'd expect tbh. If it locks to full clocks with nothing open it's probably something like a driver.

My solution would be to run on optimal like everyone else.

Soldato
This happened to me on my 3090, it was nvidia settings, the global setting was set to Prefer maximum performance which after gaming or full loads it would get stuck at boost clocks instead of downclocking. Change it to optimal performance and it downclocks accordingly.

Associate
OP
what do you have running on your system after closing everything down? .
If I go to Nvidia Control Panel -> Desktop -> Display GPU activity icon in notification tray and check that to see anything that uses my GPU, there are only two Windows 10 processes listed: searchapp.exe and textinputhost.exe. I don't think those can be permantently closed, though.
Hmm...I'm surprised to hear that yours gets locked at full clock with minimal load, too. Perhaps the fact that my card WAS downclocking accordingly with 'Prefer Maximum Performance' mode is abnormal, then? And then the coil whine onset and GPU driver crashes would just a coincidence? I dunno. Or maybe the latest driver made it that way?

So, to anyone's lurking in this thread, could you perhaps check if your GPU boosts to max clock with minimal load (like a web browser open) while in max performance mode and let me know? I'd appreciate that. Cheers.

Associate
Necro justification: My brand new 3080 msi gaming x trio is now randomly getting stuck at boost clock speeds.
Driver version: 461.09
MSI afterburner with stock values for everything.

I did, at some point, set power management to "Prefer maximum performance". This has since been set back to "normal" and I've reinstalled drivers with nvidias "clean install" option checked. Reinstalling drivers will temporarily allow the card back to low clock speeds when idling (210MHz or so). This seems to work even with the express install option. Then, after some set time, or perhaps some triggering action (restarting msi afterburner? waking from sleep? Encountering gpu-load? I'm not sure..) it will suddenly be stuck at boost clock speed again.

I can clearly see less than or equal to 1% gpu usage in msi afterburner.

Low clock speeds at idle means the card fans stop running and the card stays at 45c.
When stuck at boost clocks doing absolutely nothing, the card fans kick in (30% speed) and the card maintains 55c. It's annoying since it seems wasteful.

Permabanned
I had heard that this is actually an issue with MSI Afterburner, but I have no personal experience so I can only say it was a "rumour".

Associate
OP
@colma11 have you managed to fix this?
Not really. A few months ago, a driver update was released that changed Nvidia Control Panel power management settings up a bit. Both Adaptive and Optimal settings got deleted and since then it's down to either Normal or Prefer Maximum Performance setting. So I just kinda decided to stick with Normal as it doesn't make my fans rev up every 30 seconds like 'Max performance' does. It's not ideal, but I haven't had any other issues with the card since.

Back
Top Bottom