Gigabyte X570 Elite, 2 graphics cards & M.2 pcie

Soldato
Does anyone know if this board supports 2 graphics cards, and an M.2 pcie SSD also installed.

I checked the motherboard manual but found no mention. I know on Intel coffee lake platforms with M.2 pcie installed second graphics card is not available option, is this the case on X570 platform also?

Thanks
Jason

Soldato
i think it will work
though not 100% sure as only read my manual regarding
how many M2 drives could run and which sata ports
i would lose running 3 x M2 nvme
i didnt look for anything about 2 x gpu
mine is x570 aorus ultra

Soldato
Aorus Elite doesn't share any lanes/wiring between different connectors/ports, including main CPU connected x16 slot.
Second x16 slot is connected to chipset running at x4.

Soldato
OP
Aorus Elite doesn't share any lanes/wiring between different connectors/ports, including main CPU connected x16 slot.
Second x16 slot is connected to chipset running at x4.

So just to confirm, will be fine running the M.2, or even both M.2's (there is two M.2 slots) and running two graphics cards will not be affected?

Soldato
Both M.2 slots have own dedicated wiring shared with nothing else.
Primary slot goes to CPU (like norm is nowadays) and second utilizes four lanes out of chipset's 16 lanes.
Which leaves 12 lanes for PCIe slots and peripheral controllers:
https://hexus.net/tech/features/mainboard/131789-amd-ryzen-3000-supporting-x570-chipset-examined/

It's those boards with three M.2 slots which might start sharing some PCIe lanes/wiring.
Though those boards usually share primary x16 slot's PCIe lanes (coming from CPU) with second x16 slot in 8x/8x config, which limits need of chipset's lanes for PCIe slots.
Except when designers waste lanes for x1 slots positioned to where they can never be used on most PCs, because of big graphics card covering them.

Gigabyte used common sense in slot positioning of Aorus Elite and didn't waste lanes for uselessly positioned slots.

Soldato
OP
Another noob question.

I'm thinking of buying a Western Digital SN750, however the version without the heat sink. The x570 elite has a heatsink covering one of the M.2 ports. Do I fit the WD SN750, then put the Gigabyte heat sink over the top of the SN750?

Ree

Ree

Associate
Another noob question.

I'm thinking of buying a Western Digital SN750, however the version without the heat sink. The x570 elite has a heatsink covering one of the M.2 ports. Do I fit the WD SN750, then put the Gigabyte heat sink over the top of the SN750?

that is what i did with my adata ssd even though it came with a heat sink in the box.

Soldato
OP
that is what i did with my adata ssd even though it came with a heat sink in the box.

Do you just place the gigabyte heatsink on, or can you use thermal past to help the transfer of heat?

BTW above was a serious question, as never installed an M.2 before.

Soldato
In more normal home use that heatsink doesn't matter much.
It matters only when there's heavy continuous load on drive.
As in copying like 100GB of files at once etc...

WD SN750 has rather salty pricing.
In most uses there are very little actual performance differences between different drives and likely better to go for something having better price per GB.

Ree

Ree

Associate
Do you just place the gigabyte heatsink on, or can you use thermal past to help the transfer of heat?

BTW above was a serious question, as never installed an M.2 before.

i just removed the protective tape on the heatsink and put it on the drive and screw it in place on mobo, i used no paste.

can deffo recommend the adata sx8200 pro was £99 not long ago but with everything cause of whats going on prices will be going up and up no doubt.

Back
Top Bottom