Giggs named new Wales manager

Don
As was reported last night, Giggs has been confirmed as the new Wales manager:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42691334

I know there's been a couple of notable success stories but I can't get my head around how some clubs and national teams appoint high profile ex players who have little to no experience as a manager. What on earth has Giggs done as a coach or manager to deserve this job? You can't even look at his international career as a player to justify the appointment - how many times would he pull out of the Wales squad with a mystery injury that he would recover from just in time for the next Utd game?

Soldato
Hope they don't expect him to oversee friendlies.

As said though, not sure what they saw in him as he previous record in management isn't exactly glowing.

Don
OP
God help Wales! I've just seen a video on twitter of a rousing speech Giggs gave Utd when he was caretaker for a couple of games. Unfortunately I can't link to it due to some colourful language but my god it was painful to listen to.
He'd be much better with a club team, you don't get enough games as a national team manager.
He should go prove himself at a Championship or League 1 side. I can understand why from Giggs' point of view he doesn't want to do that - he's earned millions and doesn't want to get involved in lower league football but I can't understand why a club or national team would appoint somebody with next to no experience as a manager. This isn't specific to Giggs, it applies to a lot of high profile PL players over the last 5 years or so - they seem to only be willing to take big jobs but have done nothing to earn them.

Don
Wales' Euro Trip was an example of massive overachieving and therefore painted them in a light of being a competitive team. I'd be shocked if Giggs does anything worthy with them and he will be in league 1 in couple of years time.

Back
Top Bottom