Git Client & File/Folder Comparison Apps

Associate
After moving fully to Linux Mint Cinamon 19.1 from a dual boot setup with Win8.1 Pro at the beginning of the year. I've pretty much got all the apps and utilities covered now, either with the same or similar Linux equivalents. The main two that I'm struggling with are:

- Git client.
- File / Folder compare utility.

I've tried Meld as a file/folder compare tool - it's fine but has limited options and gets rather slow with large files or large folders. I used to use ExamdiffPro on Windows, unfortunatly there's no Linux version.

For the Git/Mercurial client - I used to use Sourcetree on Windows, there is a MacOS version, so you'd have thought there would be a Linux verion, but no such luck!

Wondered if anyone had any good tips for suitable replacements on Linux?

Associate
I've tried a lot of the Git GUI's for Linux. Git-Cola, Smart Git, Gitg etc. I could probably get on with one of those but they are nowhere near as visually pleasing as Sourcetree which I use at work and like. The best of the bunch I have found, and settled on with my Ubuntu laptop is GitKraken, it looks almost as nice as Sourcetree but takes a bit of getting used to.

Associate
OP
GitKraken does look visually appealing, though they do charge 49 bucks for commercial use..
I've been trying out PHPStorm on a free trial which does have an inbuilt Git client - though I think I'd prefer a separate app, as I often still prefer SublimeText as a code editor. I'm still debating whether to invest in PHPStorm or not.
Will take a further look at GitKraken so cheers for the suggestion!

Associate
I'm coming from windows and SourceTree, I've yet to find anything I get on as well with.

Fork has no linux client.

SublimeMerge is new, and worth a look. I feel it still feels a bit beta to me, give it a year or two and it'll be bang on. Certainly not as polished as SublimeText.

Tempted to give Kracken a shot, looks like it would suit, gets good reviews, and a nice mature product. Also cross platform I think, which always gets bonus points.

The cynic in me thinks that everyone using Linux runs git from the command line. I've tried, but just can't get on with it.

Oh, and the daddy of file/folder comparison, without question, is beyond compare. I pay for my own copy it's that good. Just a shame they've yet to make it play nicely with git, that would be a corker.

Back
Top Bottom