Give me car ideas please (£15k max)

Associate
Excuse my lack of technical knowledge..

My current top choice is Audi A3 (2 doors, S line)

I was also looking at Mini Cooper S

The Audi's all seem to have 1.4 engine. I understand it is has a turbo. Will this be as quick as my brother's 1.6 fiesta?

Basically I want a sporty looking car that goes quite quick.

Any other cars I should look at?

Last edited:
Caporegime
An A3 isn't a sporty car at all really.

The cooper will handle and go a lot better.
He did say sporty LOOKING. There’s no denying an S-Line A3 LOOKS sporty even if it’s not the most dynamic of drives. They are also one of, if not the best interior in its class. So depending on what he wants it might be spot on, not everyone wants their drive to work to be the pinnacle of handling.

The 1.4 CoD unit is a particularly nice engine IMO, doesn’t feel underpowered for the weight of the car, and returns good economy because of the CoD.

There’s no denying that a Cooper S is going to be a more “fun” drive, but it’s not as comfortable or as large as it’s in the class below.

Caporegime
Thinking about it, you should also be able to find a 1.8TFSI 180PS variant in budget, they are rarer and certainly not as economical but they do have noticeably more punch than the 1.4TFSI. You’d probably get into a facelift 1.4 but would have to have a prefacelift to be in a 1.8.

You’d need a bigger budget to get into the 2.0.

Soldato
Will this be as quick as my brother's 1.6 fiesta?

Basically I want a sporty looking car that goes quite quick.

If his fiesta is just a standard (i.e not an ST) 1.6 then yes, probably quicker.

If it's an ST, no

There are plenty of sporty looking hatches around now tbh - just have a look round the Audi, Golf, 1 series, 2 series (if you want a coupe) etc.

All do a smallish turbocharged engine that is nippy enough along side a sporty looking trim

Caporegime
It's all relative really. It's slow compared to a Ferrari. It's fairly quick compared to a Fiesta zetec S (I assume) or a 1.4 A3 in the OP.
Only half a second faster 0-62 though (than the 1.4 A3), a lot less comfortable over a distance though. More fun to drive by a long shot however.

It’s all swings and roundabouts, completely dependant on use and preference. I’d rather commute in the A3, but I’d rather take a GT86 as a weekend thrashabout.

Associate
Only half a second faster 0-62 though (than the 1.4 A3), a lot less comfortable over a distance though. More fun to drive by a long shot however.

It’s all swings and roundabouts, completely dependant on use and preference.
When he shows his brother the 0-60 time these extra tenths of a second are extremely important though :D

Caporegime
The official 0-62 times for the gt86 are set with the slippy primacy tyres. It's a lot quicker than people think and the 0-60 time in the US is listed as 6.2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xVUhAYbDU0

It's a funny one, lots of places claim low to mid 6s. I can't understand for what really is a selling feature of such cars why Toyota undersold it by so much!

Soldato
It's a funny one, lots of places claim low to mid 6s. I can't understand for what really is a selling feature of such cars why Toyota undersold it by so much!

Yea they have done it before though with some of their previous sporty cars. But it's OEM "drifting" tyre choice that kills the acceleration time, if you boot it the rear slides all over the place with them. Hilarious (and kinda the whole point in the car really), but not fast :D

It's not a car for everyone though. It eats B roads for breakfast, but you need to be confident with oversteer if you want to drive it quickly. It's not point and squirt like a hot hatch.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom