Give me your opinions on the Lexus GS450h / LS600h, and the future of hybrids

Man of Honour
OllyM said:
They look like a branch of Dixons has been installed in to the centre console - to me it looks really fussy and cheap.

People buy them only because they don't want a BMW, Mercedes, Audi etc.

Or they just prefer Japanese cars with Japanese mechanical reliability year after year.

Serj said:
I saw one of the Lexus convertibles today (called the SC i think?). It just looks unbelievably gay, sort of camp looking :confused: :p

Even more than the older shape Hyundai Coupe? ORLY indeed.

Yes, incase you haven't figured it out, I am getting a Lexus ¬_¬

Last edited:
Soldato
ajgoodfellow said:
How much do fuel cells emit though?

If it's a comparable amount of water vapour to the CO2 emissions from cars then it will still be a problem

clv101 is correct. The amount of water vapor coming out of a fuel cell is miniscule in comparison to evaporation from water sources.

The biggest problem with fuel cell cars is that there is only enough platinum in the world to make one fuel cell per car currently on the road. And a fuel cell will only last about one year in a car's useage.

So if we transferred every car on the road to run on fuel cells, we'd pollute the atmosphere to choking building them all, and then in one year we'd be back where we started with our cars.

No, the best bet if you're going to use hydrogen as a fuel is what the folks at United Nuclear have done. No having to build new cars to incorporate a fancy, unreliable, untested drive system into. Just convert your existing car to run on renewable energy. The charger system could also be set to run on wind power, or any other type of renewable energy source.

Soldato
Mickey_D said:
clv101 is correct. The amount of water vapor coming out of a fuel cell is miniscule in comparison to evaporation from water sources.

Yep, that's not what I was getting at though :)

Say that one million cars all producing, on average, 150 g/km of CO2 are replaced by fuel cell cars. If each of those cars produced 150 g/km of water vapour then this would be worse for the environment

Mickey_D said:
The biggest problem with fuel cell cars is that there is only enough platinum in the world to make one fuel cell per car currently on the road. And a fuel cell will only last about one year in a car's useage.

So if we transferred every car on the road to run on fuel cells, we'd pollute the atmosphere to choking building them all, and then in one year we'd be back where we started with our cars.

I didn't know that!

Mickey_D said:
No, the best bet if you're going to use hydrogen as a fuel is what the folks at United Nuclear have done. No having to build new cars to incorporate a fancy, unreliable, untested drive system into. Just convert your existing car to run on renewable energy. The charger system could also be set to run on wind power, or any other type of renewable energy source.

I hadn't seen that before - that looks very interesting!

Back
Top Bottom